Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pie idea?
Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: March 21, 2008 04:11PM

I feel a pie phase coming on!!

I haven't got much experience making raw pies, but would it work to use the basic crust (in my case, I have dates already mixed with sunflower, walnut, and sunflower seeds - didn't soak them this time) and a filling of blackberries and something? I may either leave the blackberries whole, or blend them with something so the pie isn't too watery.

In SAD pies you usually want to add some flour so it isn't too runny. I'm sure the sugar adds some thickening to it as well. Basically, I don't want a big runny mess.

I do have some ground flax that I bought at costco - that looks like it could thicken, but I have never used flax in any un-cooking so I have NO idea. I also have bananas.

What do you recommend.

Me (30), Joseph (24 mo.) Jeremiah (4 mo.)

We are enjoying spring and being outside!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pie idea?
Posted by: lthierga ()
Date: March 22, 2008 03:29PM

The basic crust for a raw pie is a couple of handfuls of nuts. Any would be fine. I like to use almonds. I put the almonds in my food processor and process until it is fine. Then I like to add a dash of sea salt and some raw honey or agave nector. A tablespoon is fine. I don't measure I just use a large spoon. Then process this together and then place in a dish or pie plate. You can mash it down to resemble a crust or not, depending on what you are making. You can also put dates in the mixture as well. Usually another handful would be fine. Hope this helps.

Posted by: sweetpea ()
Date: March 22, 2008 09:51PM

Hello angie, I love to make a pie crust using 1 cup of ground seeds to 1/2 cup of dried fruit like apricots or raisins. Using coconut is really nice too or oat flour. Love your baby photos.

[www.rawlifestyle.co.uk]
Recipes, ebooks, diary

Posted by: claire ()
Date: April 11, 2008 10:05PM

Have only just noticed this thread...hope your pie phase is not over!!!

I made a strawberry pie for a work colleague's birthday this week and everyone loved it.

The crust was dates and almonds and the filling was cashews blended with water, lemon juice and a tablespoon of agave. Then I put strawberry slices on top. You can make the filling to your preferred consistency just by adding the water in small amounts until it's right.

happy pie eating smiling smiley

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 16, 2008 09:37AM

Angie

chilling can do WONDERS for the crust

if u think the crust is too soft and will just collapse

chill it overnight and it will be fine

but as for the fruit filling

maybe you can alternate with the blended blackberries and the whole blackberry itself

so it won't "run"

uh... well, i'm not the best to give advice about it not running

i was only succeessful once ( cuz i had to make it for some friends and well... i had some "pride" and didn't want it to look all mushy

but for myself

i eat the pie straight out of the container i make it in (ha ha)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables