Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How do I salvage this failed recipe?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 06, 2006 06:59PM

I am hoping someone can tell me how to salvage this failed recipe, and tell me how to do it next time. There may be one way to do both, but I am approaching them as 2 separate tasks.

I started with a recipe from Gabriel Cousens' "Rainbow Green Live-Food Cuisines" book for Sour Cream (p. 279).

1C Macadamia nuts
1/2 C sunflower seeds
1 T lemon juice
1 t Celtic Salt

Blend in a high-speed blender until smooth.

I used unsoaked macadamia nuts, soaked sunflower seeds, got the lemon juice by squeezing half a lemon, and did not want to add any salt until the end so I could add it to fit my taste.

I put the nuts, seeds, and juice in my Vitamix and it did ok at first while the nuts were still whole and would move around. However, as it got a pastier consistency, I just couldn't get the Vitamix to move it around. I used the tamper bar, but once it got more mixed up, the tamper bar wouldn't reach. Again and again I stopped the machine, pushed everything down onto the blades and started it again. I tried it at different speeds, pulsing on and off, and all it does is make a hole under the mixture where the blade goes around but never touches the mixture. The mixture is just too thick.

I then tried spooning the mixture out of the Vitamix into this cheap, little food processor machine I have, but, again, the mixture is just too thick.

I also tried the same thing with soaked macadamia nuts (instead of unsoaked) and when the Vitamix didn't blend it, I put it through the Champion juicer, but it's still so thick (and not smooth).

So question 1--I saved the results of both attempts and would like to be able to use them for something--macadamia nuts are expensive.

Question 2--I would like to make sour cream, but it seems this recipe as it is isn't working. Any suggestions on how to make it work?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do I salvage this failed recipe?
Date: June 13, 2006 03:19AM

I'm not seeing this until a week after you posted it. Hopefully you found a way to enjoy it!!

P.S. I would have just kept adding water until I got the consistency I wanted.

Re: How do I salvage this failed recipe?
Date: July 14, 2006 05:27PM

i say separate the ingredients and put it in to other stuff you like... Put the macademia nuts in your yogurt for your next couple of breakfasts... Sunflower Seeds are always great to have as a snack on the go... Its one of those "make lemonade situations.

S

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables