Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

ayahuasca, shamanism and raw foods!!!
Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: January 22, 2010 08:09PM

Hey guys

I just had to tell you about a VERY EXCITING retreat that's happening in Brazil in April.. the guys at Heart of the Initiate are offering a special RAW FOOD Ayahuasca shamanic retreat in beautiful Bahia... I've been to their retreats before and I can honestly say they were the most beautiful, life-changing thing I've ever done... they provide such loving, peaceful supportive surroundings and their Shaman is just wonderful smiling smiley

I'm devastated cos I can't go this year (got a trip to Japan booked in May and funds just won't stretch!) but just wanted to let you guys know about it smiling smiley

I'm gonna be jealous if you go though winking smiley xxxx

PS they've got Brian Clements as special guest!!

[www.heartoftheinitiate.com]

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ayahuasca, shamanism and raw foods!!!
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 22, 2010 10:16PM

lisa, and I mean this as a sincere question, is there really a large population of raw foodists that do this? I don't personally see the point of purifying my system with raw foods and then taking a bunch of hallucinogens that are decocted by cooking, but maybe it is less dangerous/terrifying on raw?

Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: January 23, 2010 02:31AM

i love ayahuasca

david

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: January 23, 2010 05:44AM

Can ayahuasca be consumed raw? Peyote can be consumed as is, at least it sounds that way in this article. This article says its not damaging, but mentions that alcohol us is!
[www.wired.com]

" When enough peyote is eaten, users enter a hallucinogenic state thanks to its active ingredient, the chemical mescaline. Halpern and colleagues recruited three groups of Navajos -- 61 members of the Native American Church who regularly ate peyote, 36 alcoholics who have been dry for at least two months and 79 people who reported little or no use of alcohol or drugs. The researchers then gave mental-health and cognitive tests to the subjects.

Only the alcoholics showed signs of brain problems. On the psychological front, Native American peyote users were actually in better shape emotionally than those who didn't use the drug.

Why? For one thing, the church provides plenty of emotional support to members, said Dennis J. McKenna, senior lecturer at the University of Minnesota's Center for Spirituality & Healing. For another, Native American users are careful about how they use peyote. "The context of the use is a really important thing," McKenna said. "Most people using mushrooms or LSD in a recreational way don't really have a context for this type of use," such as an emphasis on setting, à la psychedelic guru Timothy Leary. "

Date: January 23, 2010 06:17AM

i've never consumed it raw, you'd be eating bark and then that's still not enough because enzymes in your stomach destroy the psychedelic

david

Date: January 23, 2010 04:15PM

Hi Tamukha

Yes, I know it seems a conundrum as ayahuasca is not raw itself; yet many raw foodists do seem to be attracted to it, I guess because rawbies tend to be a spiritual type of bunch, who may be attracted to raising their vibrations in ways other than simply eating raw food. Hence, you have the likes of David Wolfe, Shazzie, and Brian Clements partaking in it. In my own experience, I have certainly never found it dangerous/terrifying,far from it, but I would suppose how it affects you depends on your own personal beliefs about it. I think if it feels right, and seems to 'call' to you, then it's a good idea, but if you straight away feel repulsed by it, then that would indicate a definate reason to stay away from it smiling smiley

Date: January 23, 2010 04:16PM

Hi Mislu, thanks for the interesting article! xx

Date: January 23, 2010 04:27PM

i agree, its as terrifying as you want to make it, going into your first experience with alot of anxiety about it can make it rough experience but if you're mentally strong it is an awe inspiring experience

david

Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: January 23, 2010 05:45PM

Ayuascaha is being used like a drug by raw foodists, I know some raw foodists using it regularly and one person I know was consuming it on a daily basis and giving it to her children on a daily basis.

The shamans revere this herb and is only used rarely in ceremonials, it is not advised by them to use regularly, I guess one off are ok people who use it regularly, I find a bit startling personally

Date: January 23, 2010 06:40PM

i can't imagine wanting to do it regularly.
I enjoyed the couple times I did, but never felt any need to do it continuously, and I have a very addictive personality.

I've heard that using ayahuasca can cure heroin and cigarette addictions. I don't know about the quality of these links, but it is mentioned here:

[www.stuartwilde.com]
[csp.org]

At this point, I believe I am better off not doing it.

david

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 24, 2010 02:26AM

Ayahuasca is a medicinal tea that can be used as part of the detoxification process. Drinking this tea will definitely cause the average person on the cooked SAD (standard American diet) to purge during the ceremony. You can use a cleanse with raw foods to prepare your body for this ritual. Before my first Ayahuasca ceremony I had cleansed my body with a raw food diet and MMS (miracle mineral solution). I was so happy that I did. It seems that the Ayahuasca could get to work on my mind immediately rather than having to work through the toxicity of my body.

There is never a reason not to eat raw foods. You'll love yourself even more every day if you do.

All the best to you.
~Cat Erickson

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: January 24, 2010 03:57AM

Lisa M,
It is interesting. I remember watching antidrug films in grade school. Peyote was lumped together with LDS, heroine, meth etc...I don't think thats a fair comparison. The synthetic stuff has got to be really bad. I'm not a big advocate of all of that. But after reading that article I thought woah...maybe peyote is entirely different and misunderstood by the general public.

[en.wikipedia.org]

There is also a story about a healing by peyote.

"The second influential figure was the famous Quanah Parker, a half white, Comanche chief. Laying in his tepee, dying, after all attempts to cure him by doctors and medicine men failed, he was visited by a Tarahumara curandera. Within a few days after ingesting Peyote tea, he was returned to health. The experience so changed him, that he gave up violence, and dedicated the rest of his life to spreading the teachings of Peyotyl. "
[www.lycaeum.org]

There is a belief of healing and medicinal value of peyote.
[www.americanethnography.com]

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: June 23, 2010 03:26PM

Old thread, sorry, but someone just brought this to my attention, and I have to speak up: (these links are intended as starting points)

Ayahuasca heals cures brain tumor:
[www.realitysandwich.com]

Long term mental health effects of drinking Ayahuasca:
[www.ayahuasca.com]

Ayahuasca and anxiety:
[www.ayahuasca.com]

Ayahuasca and depression:
[www.ayahuasca.com]

Ayahuasca is not a drug. Ayahuasca does not, in any way, lend itself to recreational use. Ayahuasca is one of the most powerful medicines on earth. Yes, it is cooked: the active ingredients in the bark, which must be removed by cooking, are structural analogues of pinoline, THE MOST POWERFUL *ANTIOXIDANT* CREATED BY THE HUMAN BODY!! Ayahuasca is known for its powerful ability to scavenge free radicals from the brain... cigarettes, and not even LSD, come anywhere close to evoking such a powerful cleanse. Ayahuasca induces higher levels of gamma coherence in the brain, identical to what happens during extremely deep meditation. Ayahuasca is also unique, in comparison to all other entheogens, that it is completely nontoxic at any dose. Ayahuasca cleanses the gut of parasites.

This isn't foo-foo new age gobbledegook. This is powerful medicine with even more powerful science behind it. There is a wealth of information on long-term effects: all are positive. If you are curious, I recommend further research with a heavy dose of humility and respect.

Not surprising that Clements is interested: his aim is to heal cancer, so why not work with some of the most powerful antioxidants available in an extremely natural form, with tons of other knock-on physical and mental health benefits?

I for one have been cured permanently of depression, eating disorders, and anxiety. I used to suffer so badly from anxiety that I would sit in my car 20 minutes before my shift at work, too paralyzed and terrified to get out. This is an incredible medicine that gives people a second chance at life.

Love and thanks.

Posted by: rawrnr ()
Date: June 23, 2010 04:00PM

Phantom!!
That's my SWAOMAN!!!
I love you!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables