Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

best places to live in america for raw
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 18, 2008 10:39PM

i'm wondering if my dream land exists. a lot of nice cheap country land to grow lots of food and have a greenhouse to grow coconuts, durian and mangosteen. is near a city w/o too much traffic and lots of healthy things to do like tai chi, yoga, massage and has health food stores like whole foods, trader joes. maybe some hot springs and not too much humidity.

my husband and i moved to florida. north miami beach. we're pretty disappointed. we order our groceries online. organic. and the organic coconuts come all the way from thailand and are MOLDY. why do they order coconuts from thailand when they are growing 10 feet away at the pool in my neighborhoodmoody smiley???? it makes absolutely no sense and i'm extremely disappointed. i moved here for some fresh tropical LOCAL fruit and warm weather. and my organic papayas come from hawaii. it's insane.

i wanted our own piece of land to grow our own food but the only place to buy land seems to be in the redlands. i drove through there. lots of farmland but these big tractors were spraying all these pesticides that STANK! i don't want to live right next to all those chemicals. is there ANYPLACE where i can live w/ some clean air and is at least sort of warm most of the year? cuz as long as i can have a big piece of land, i can grow stuff in a greenhousee. i want one anyway for mangosteen and durian. i don't mind winter as long as it isn't cloudy and freezing the entire time. i can deal w/ a bit of coldness as long as it's sunny. i get really depressed when it's dark and cloudy.

i went to the fruit and spice park and fairchild tropical garden. they have durian and mangosteen in the greenhouse. it was the 1st time i saw mangosteen. they were so cute!

i'm thinking arizona might be a good place to live cuz it isn't humid and i'd really love to live in a home i built myself of strawbale and you can't have that where it's humid.

any suggestions of a good place to move to and also any advice for southern florida as long as i'm still living here before i save up to move someplace else?

oh...also a good community. where i live is too ghetto and has some rude people.

also, i have seasonal affective disorder. i lived in virginia and it is dark, cold, and cloudy all winter long. i see the sun only a few days of the entire winter. cloudy winters and me don't get along.

i know this magical place probably doesn't exist, but if anyone lives in an area that they really like, please let me know and why it's so nice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: best places to live in america for raw
Date: June 09, 2008 01:36AM

I must say GOOD LUCK, GIRL !

I used to live in Thailand and Malaysia,
now THOSE are the places for Durian and
Mangosteen... but now I am in Eugene
Oregon, where the sun seldom shines...
and I think you'd need an awfully big
greenhouse, as the lovely Durian Trees
grow quite tall... and I think I have
never seen the Mangosteens actually on
their trees...

I certainly understand your feelings
and this area is really Raw Friendly,
with wonderfully Spiritually people,
but we are all longing for some sunshine !

Best of luck,

~whynot~

Posted by: Duo ()
Date: June 12, 2008 08:11PM

Nevada City, CA
Lopez Island, WA

Posted by: justin26 ()
Date: June 22, 2008 04:33AM

You might want to check out Missouri. I just moved to Stockton it’s around Springfield. I like Ava more however I believe it’s farther south of Springfield. Anyway it has lots of water not to Humid I am from Utah which is sort of a dessert and that saying something.

All of the good things I enjoy.

Lots of water.

Very green.

Land is considerably cheaper then most places.

People are friendly but give you your space. (Everyone waves at you when you’re driving and that’s getting to be rare) Their attitude is more “mind your own business then you won’t be minden mine” lol

Lots of land for sale.

If you want to be secluded form the world then Missouri is your place. Most of the land is untouched and raw ready for someone to care for it.

The seasons are not that bad winters come and go fast and aren’t that bad. (Only a few inches of snow is expected) Which give you a longer growing season? The summers aren’t to hot they tend to hit the peak at 97 but mostly stay around the mid eighties.

Things I don’t like.

Not very many people care about eating healthy food. That means not very many health food stores. But we have the Amish which grow lots of different types of foods. (Once you get to know the area you can find live foods)

Ticks :-) absolutely hate them. You have to make sure you check for ticks every time you are outdoors. They are tiny sneaky little suckers but they don’t carry the rocky mountain fever like Utah’s do (their not poisonous)

Lots of bugs (Mosquitoes aren’t bad though)

I could probably write more but I think you can get the general drift.

Date: June 25, 2008 04:41PM

I would have to second the Nevada City suggestion! I live about an hour from there in Foresthill, CA. We have plenty of land up here (cheaper only if you get really far away from the nearest city), fresh air at a higher elevation, plenty of sun and very distinct seasons. there is snow and cold but not through all of winter. smiling smiley

Posted by: yogi33 ()
Date: July 24, 2008 01:30AM

Washington state! People are open to raw foodies and it seems to be growing like crazy up here~

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables