Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Oklahoma City, OK - I'm a newbie!!
Posted by: new2raw81 ()
Date: July 09, 2008 12:02AM

I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. I stumbled upon this forum on accident and am so happy that I did! I'm a 27 yr old husband and father of one who is very interested in transitioning to a raw foods diet. Six months ago I cut red meat and pork completely from my diet and have been phasing out poultry and dairy during that same time. I was introduced, albeit briefly, to the concept of a raw foods "diet" by a close friend and have been reading and learning ever since. I have SO very much to learn. My wife, at this time, is not at all interested in joining my lifestyle and is a VERY picky eater. I know this isn't for everyone and will not push her to anything. The support, insight and advice of the forum members will be key in my successful transition. I look forward to "meeting" some of you and learning from you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Oklahoma City, OK - I'm a newbie!!
Date: July 09, 2008 03:46AM

Ok, so I was at work when I first posted and didn't have an opportunity to expound much. I am in this strange place in my life where I becoming much more concious of what I am doing to myself through my diet. I am 27, 5'9" and 245 lbs. I have always been thick, but when the working out stopped, "thick" turned to "FAT"!! I am completely unhappy with my current state and realize that I am the only one that can make the change for me. My respect for all of creation is growing by leaps and bounds: this includes not only all animals, but also myself. I realize that if I truely love myself, I will learn to take care of myself properly. My wife and I have a beautiful 15 month old son and I wish to take care of myself in such a way that my son grows up learning to do the same from watching me.

Living in Oklahoma, veganism and raw veganism are far from prevalent. As I mentioned earlier, I began changing my diet in January of this year: I cut beef and pork completely and have gradually cut dairy, poultry and seafood. I drank apprx 2 gallons of cow's milk per week for about 12 years (age 15 to 27), but dairy has been suprisingly easy to cut. I have been reading everything I can find, but have EVERYTHING to learn. My family(parents and brothers) find it humorous that I trying to make this transition. They are far from mean-spirited, but just don't understand. My wife is supportive in the sense that she doesn't make fun, but makes it clear that she is not interested in joining my journy at this time. I have a feeling that as the life begins to return to me, her interest will peak. I welcome any and all advice. I have been reading on the forum, non-stop, all evening. I am so motivated, but more than that, scared as hell!!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 09, 2008 05:33AM

Hey there! Welcome! I too believe that having support makes a difference. I'm in the process of trying to find more Michigan people as well since it's frustrating feeling like people don't understand.

That beings said, I just keep in mind that when people see my results they will want to know...sometimes it takes awhile for people to catch on! New ideas are often ridiculed first before accepted-I know there is a quote about that somewhere?

Anyways, one thing I found helpful was keeping a food blog online-if you don't have a good support group in your area-it is helpful to have an online community of people you are held accountable if you cheat on your diet-I don't mean occasionally cheating, that is ok...but you know what I mean! People who support your decision on a daily basis and you would feel bad letting them down, if that makes sense? smiling smiley

I can't think of any off the top of my head, but if you google some you might find one you like.

Anybody know of some sites like that? smiling smiley

Anyways, best of luck!

Date: July 09, 2008 01:44PM

That is a great idea! I'm not really sure how I would go about getting people to actually read my food blog, lol, but I'm sure it would be a bit therapeutic just to write about my successes and struggles.

Last night my wife picked up dinner because I was at work until late. She picked up, and I willingly ate, gasp...fast food!! I thought, "what's the harm to just eat it once?" I woke up this morning at about 2:00 a.m. sicker than I can remember being in a LONG, LONG time! That was the last straw for me. Although I know little to nothing, my transition just received a kick into high gear!

Date: July 09, 2008 07:28PM

Thanks! There are actually websites out there where it's a community like myspace almost...only people have their food diaries posted-so you wouldn't have to look for readers! But for the life of me I can't find it!

But you could go on blogger.com and i think they have ideas on how to get readers. Adding your blog to this forum signature is a good way to get people to read your blog also.

Linking your blog to other blogs and asking them to do so with yours is another way too.

And yeah, once I eat fast food it's like taking crack...I have to have more!!

Ugh.

There is definitely harm in having it one time unfortunately!!!

Date: July 09, 2008 07:48PM

Well, I started my blog in hopes that it will provide me with accountability through all of this. I'm not sure if anyone will read it, but I'll vow to be absolutely 100% transparent and honest in everything I blog. I already get the feeling that this forum will be such a huge asset to me through all of this. Right now, it's my only support system, as I'm sure is the case with many. Many thanks for everything!! I added my blog to my sig line, just in case anyone wanted something to do smiling smiley

new2raw81
Red
[new2raw81.blogspot.com]

Date: July 11, 2008 07:53PM

sorry,I have the michiganrawfood and this one for some reason. lol

But yay for the blog!! I hope it helps you!

Posted by: yogi33 ()
Date: July 24, 2008 01:21AM

good for you Oklahoma!Give yourself a date, like I will 100% raw for one day, or 3 or 30 days. That way you don't feel trapped, like you HAVE to keep eating raw, yet you stay dedicated long enough to detox. You have read about that right? If not, amazon.com has great prices on books, and you can find TONS of info. Staying connected to other raw foodies has been my lifeline, like you I too have a spouse who has NO interest in what I am doing here. I love him, inspite of himself...smiling smiley

Date: July 24, 2008 09:15PM

Thanks yogi. I'm on day 3 of trying to be 100%, but I did mess up last night and have some steamed edamame after dinner. I'm very excited about the transition, both the good and bad of it. I have a feeling I will come to rely on support from hear quite a bit. How do you do so well when your hubby isn't a part of it? It's hard!

Date: August 02, 2008 02:48PM

Ok, so this is a bit late, but better late than never! lol I was reading something and it reminded me of what we were talking about. It mentioned these support sites:

stickk.com (wager on yourself, promising to meet a certain goal. If you don't make it, stickk makes you ante up to a friend of your choosing or donate money to your favorite charity. lol)

sparkpeople.com (name your fitness or weight loss goal, and they offer tips. Fitness minute section helps you keep track of how much time you've exercised during a given month)

thedailyplate.com (track your weekly food intake and exercise, and it helps you manage your fitness or weight loss goals, and network with other members)

Hope this helps!
alison
www.michiganrawfood.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2008 02:52PM by aschneider1979.

Posted by: wendysmiling ()
Date: September 29, 2008 06:07PM

new2raw81 there is a monthly pot luck in Edmond I just found out about. It's the first Sunday of the month from 6pm-8pm. It's at Chef Mandy's House.

[www.chefmandy.com]

I'm going Oct 4th.

WendySmiling in Oklahoma
www.16weeks2health.blogspot.com
12/17/10.......240/155/125

Posted by: wendysmiling ()
Date: October 13, 2008 05:34PM

I think I'm going to host a raw potluck. Need to find some more people from OKC.

WendySmiling in Oklahoma
www.16weeks2health.blogspot.com
12/17/10.......240/155/125

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables