Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

New and lost
Posted by: westiemom ()
Date: October 01, 2008 02:25AM

I'm just beginning my journey into living and raw foods living and I'm at a loss as to where to purchase my food other than Krogers (major chain).

I've done lots of searching online in my area for farmer's markets, natural food stores, etc. and I can't seem to find anything other than Krogers, which is where I've been getting my groceries up till now.

Don't get me wrong - they do have organic produce, but not an enormous selection and as far as grains and nuts go - I'm not sure of what to buy there. I'd like to have someone I can get advice from at a smaller market or such. As you guys know south Louisiana is better known for its fried, boiled and crazy concoctions of cooked foods - not very conducive to my lifestyle changes.

Do you guys have any advice as to brands or other information that I should keep an eye out for?

Tobie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New and lost
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 03, 2008 05:31PM

Tobie,

Its my opinion that the grains and nuts would be a small part of the raw eating anyway,and if you have available the basic produce,you will be fine.

Opinions others?

Brian

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 03, 2008 05:38PM

I don't know where you are, Tobie, but if there is a Whole Foods Market, or Earth Fare, Local Harvest or any food market that specializes in organic and natural foods, this would be the best place to look for your vegetables and grains. Even a place like Trader Joe's has organic nuts. Take a look around your area to see what possibilities there might be. If you are not near any of these stores, search out the nearest large city and you will probably find one of them.

Larry

Posted by: westiemom ()
Date: October 03, 2008 09:27PM

Thanks for the words of advice guys.

Whole Foods would have been an option for me before we moved, but the closest Whole Foods is now 3 hours away. Just not feasible. I've come to the realization that I'm going to have to order some of my specialty items, but that will come in time. I'm still working on the basics and not ready to order yet.

I went to Krogers today and found some organic raw sunflower seeds and almonds. I've also found some quinoa and flax seed, agave nectar and aloe juice. What I'd really like to find is sea vegetables, but all I've found so far are the packages of cooked seaweed for making sushi. Krogers also had some interesting root vegetables that I want to try, but I haven't gotten my courage up yet to venture out too far.

I also found out that there is a monthly farmer's market the second Saturday of every month in the next town over so I'm planning to go there next weekend.

Posted by: rawsomefoods ()
Date: October 09, 2008 09:47PM

Hello westiemom,
I can highly recommend sea veggies from www.ohsv.net. These are harvested on the northern Calif. coast near Mendocino (one of the top 4 cleanest waters in the world) and sun dried (important as some are dried indoors with propane heaters). Run by a wonderful woman! Sea veggies are light weight for shipping costs and a very healthy source of minerals.
Blessings,
Celeste

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables