Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

what about nuts??
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 14, 2007 03:59PM

Hey there- I am somewhat new to living/raw foods. Am having a hard time with all of the nuts and seeds. I want the protein and healthy oils but can't help sensing that they clog up my system and add too much fat. Its probably just an issue of not eating too much of them, but they seem to be a staple of a lot of recipes in my cookbook and dishes in my local raw restaurant. For example, I just made my first batch of raw crackers and bread in my dehydrator, and both had lots of nuts and seeds.
I guess specifically what I am looking for advice on- there are many reasons I have for going raw, both spiritual and physical, and healthy weight loss is among them. Are nuts counterproductive to this goal?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what about nuts??
Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 14, 2007 04:39PM

Here's Bryan's response on nuts on a previous thread [www.rawfoodsupport.com] .

You are getting mostly fat, not protein from nuts.

Raw restaurant dishes and recipe books tend to overdo it on fruit/nut combos to appeal to the non-raw or transitioning eater. Many of us don't feel well after dishes like that and try to keep them to a minimum.

Dehydrated crackers and bread are good treats to eat occasionally, but not good to eat as a mainstay. They keep for a long time, so they are great for an occasional treat.

Another source of fat that can be less tough to digest for some people is avocados or tahini.

Congrats on your recent decision to eat more raw foods!

Posted by: Alkalarian ()
Date: October 22, 2007 04:34AM

Hi,

some nuts are ok (peanuts not!), better check a chart, and consider alkaline foods (especially if you want to lose weight).

Regards, Mel

Alkaline Food / Green Food Chart With pH Scale

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 22, 2007 05:45AM

Yeah, peanuts are not really nuts. They are legumes.

Posted by: singinraw ()
Date: October 29, 2007 12:41AM

I'm nuts I hope I'm ok

Posted by: Peter Love ()
Date: January 18, 2008 11:33PM

I need to stop craving/eating (can't stop eating them) trailmix of cashews, raisins and pecans. I know the nuts are too fatting and the raisins are to high in sugar concentration. I don't feel well after eating them, but I keep going back for them. Digestion is terrible and the sugar causes problems!

I went from processed candy bars to raw trailmixes, but can't put them down. I need to leave them alone; period.

Any advice as to how to kick this sweet tooth craving - habit?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables