Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

i'm new here and looking for lots of help!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 02, 2008 01:44PM

hello everyone, i just joined this group in hopes of receiving lots of support and help in learning to eat raw...i'm 48 years old, residing in baltimore maryland, and i am very active....i rollerskate, jog, "step" at the gym, martial arts and tai chi on occassion and most recently i'm learning to fence...i stopped eating meat over a year ago...i think the transition went smooth because i never ate too much meat in the first place so i really didn't miss it....i'm interested in eating raw because it will fit into my active lifestyle and also because i crave sugar, a LOT!....i crave sweets after every meal...growing up i was taught that desserts complete the meal....i know it's going to be hard to get away from that but i have made up my mind to give up cakes, cookies, etc...how do i start when eating raw?......do i just eat organic fruits, vegetables? can i continue to eat egg whites for protein? i am so excited to be here and i hope to meet lots of new people....peace and blessings........

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: i'm new here and looking for lots of help!
Date: June 02, 2008 10:07PM

Hi!!
Welcome.
I would suggest a "transition" period.
Maybe start with about 50% raw and go from there.
As I understand it,to go 100% right away is a recipe for failure,as is many other new habits.
I would stay with any kind of protein you like in this transition period.
Personally I have a piece of fresh salmon a couple days a week still.
I DO understand that the 100% raw foodists do get all their protein from strictly plant sources .
You are into so many kinds of exercise.
Something I want to try,and never have,is yoga.
Brian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2008 10:09PM by Raw1228.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: June 03, 2008 01:56PM

Hi and welcome.

Transistion is different for everyone. I am still transitioning after nearly two years but started high raw and have maintained that. My goal is to phase out all junk but not necessarily be 100% raw. My diet is always evolving and I am not sure where it will end up. Everyone has different goals. This is a vegan site and we don't discuss eggs here. if you feel you need to discuss them there are other sites for that. There are many other ways to get your protein through plants. There are tons of raw sweets that should satisfy your cravings. Just eating a date can satisfy a sweet craving. here are some recipe sites that might be helpful:

[thesunnyrawkitchen.blogspot.com]

[www.fromsadtoraw.com]

[goneraw.com]

Good luck and good health!

Date: June 03, 2008 05:20PM

thanks for suggesting a transition period....i wasn't thinking that way...i thought i had to go the 100% or nothing!..my goal is to rid my body of toxins..i want my inside to be just as nice as my outside! what are the plant sources that will give me my protein fix? and what about carbs? i know absolutely nothing about food...i do know how certain foods make my body feel....for instance, ice cream or any diary product would make me very sleepy, like i was on drugs, nodding and all..eeeeeeeeek!...i thought something was wrong with that so i stopped eating it...

because i like running, fencing, etc i don't look at it as exercise..i have done yoga in the past and it is great for your body..give it a try!...i love trying new things...i just found a archery class today not too far from where i live so i may take that class....

thanks so much for your help....i'm going to be asking a lot of questions about food...i hope i don't get on your nerves but believe me when i tell you i'm green, I'M GREEN!...thanks again.......peace and blessings...

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: June 03, 2008 11:14PM

Protein does not create protein in your body. Amino acids create protein in your body. The best source of amino acids are leafy green vegetables.

I suggest reading all you can. I learned so much about nutrition and health because of researching raw. No matter what diet you end up choosing, educating yourself will be important. There are so many books out there. I think the best one for educating in a simple way was Alissa Cohen's LIVING ON LIVE FOODS. It really gave me an understanding of what I was getting into. My favorite raw philosophy and recipe books were by Storm and Jinjee.

[alissacohen.com]
[www.thegardendiet.com]

Good luck!!

If you have questions you have come to the right place.

Posting on the main forum will get more answers.

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: June 04, 2008 03:19PM

The book called "the china study" is a great book dispelling the protien issue as well as the calcium. You got to start somewhere. Just eat raw morning and noon and then a simple cooked meal at dinner? Just play with it and you will eventually get a balance of what you need.

Date: June 08, 2008 02:40PM

Hi Sabirah,

What I found helped mroe than anything to stem the craving of sugar was:

1. green tea (especially the Tazo green tea.)
2. Ginko Biloba
3. Having an alkaline diet (I got on that from the book "The Ph Miracle"

I hope this is helpful for you,

Date: June 08, 2008 05:52PM

thanks so much for all your advice.....the green tea works great for me! also i set up an appointment to learn to do meals the alissa cohen way...i can't wait for that...her meals look delicious! thanks again! peace and blessings...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables