Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Poll: Living Foods For Health Only or Compassion For Animals too?
Posted by: earthwrite ()
Date: December 04, 2008 04:39AM

I would like to know how many people out there decided to eat only living foods primarily for health reasons or also for compassion for animals. I pose this question because I'm seeing a lot of in-fighting among vegetarians, vegans, raw foodists, and fruitarians and it saddens me. I know that many people opt for a 90% or more raw living foods diet for better health. But considering the fact that the raw living foods diet is herbivore vegan plant-based, this also includes the fact that the diet is compassionate and shows complete kindness, reverence, and respect for all life, including and especially animals. The problem is that many people lose sight of this and are so preoccupied and busy with his or her own personal agenda, mission, and goal that they lose sight of the fact that we're all (vegetarians, vegans, and raw foodists alike) striving for the same goal, which is to step lightly on Mother Earth. Instead of criticizing, judging, and hurting those who eat a bit of cooked food or eat grains and vegetables, instead of only fruit, let's remember that we share something very important and special in common. Our diet is 100% strictly vegetarian and contains zero animal flesh meat. It's something to think about.

Much Peace, Love, and Hugs,
Earthwrite

Wear organic or wear nothing!
[bodyearthself.blogspot.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Poll: Living Foods For Health Only or Compassion For Animals too?
Posted by: Doris ()
Date: December 07, 2008 05:17PM

Earthwrite, I started out for health reasons, and yet the more I am into it, the more compassion I feel towards the animals that commercially bred for food. I just don't think we were meant to eat meat at the volume "we" are consuming it.

The Veal industry especially sickens me and had for quite some time, even before I stopped eating the other meats. I have been eating this way for nearly 6 months and the health benefits feel miraculous to me.

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: January 10, 2009 05:33AM

In 1993 or 1994 I started eating vegetarian out of compassion for animals.

Somewhere along the way I started to believe in health benefits.

A year or two after going vegetarian I tried my hand at raw. I have not been always raw nor always vegan. They're both goals. Someday ... perhaps ...!

Despite my soft spot for animals, it just hasn't been enough of a motivation for me to go completely vegan. And a good deal of the cooked stuff I eat is not vegan.

I'll say that attacks on others for their beliefs or behaviors is unfortunate. But, you know, if the attackers should accept others for what they think, say, and do, well, then, by the same token, the attackers themselves should be accepted for what they think, and say, and do, no? Even the attacks should be accepted, IN A WAY. What good is it to criticize anyone? "Be the change you want to see." Not always easy is it?

Troy.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 14, 2009 06:26AM

I started the raw diet because it made so mch more sense then the SAD diet. I always felt guilty about the harmful ways americans eat. I knew there was a beter way to eat an going raw answered my prayers!

Date: March 10, 2009 05:54AM

This is lovely, thank you for writing. I am vegan for ethical reasons, and raw for environmental and health reasons. I see no reason why a *traditional* vegan diet should be seen as any better or worse than a raw vegan diet, especially if done right, but I find that I personally gain energy, stamina, and feel most healthy and alive when I am mostly raw or completely raw. It gives me the strength to feel my best so that I may help others and be a compassionate person in general. Best of luck to all who are on a journey towards compassion. May we all do what we can to end the sufferings of all sentient beings!

with love, a 21-year old raw vegan who is spreading the raw revolution smiling smiley

/sarah

Posted by: HealthNVitality ()
Date: March 15, 2009 02:43PM

Great answers, guys.
I think that these ideas encapsulate the general thought patterns.
I am also saddened to see unnecessary in-fighting. I believe, though, that everyone will recognize in their own time that everything is connected.

(As an aside, a good movie produced by PETA which promotes compassion for animals is Earthlings. The movie may be difficult to find, but it has a powerful message.)

Thanks for the perspective!

If you post a reply to this message and would like my feedback, it would be best to send me a private message to that effect. Otherwise, I may not check this thread for a while.

***Info from the advisors at HealthNVitality***

Date: April 06, 2009 05:54PM

Health reasons for me. However, I repect others for their reasons (caring for animals).
I have been off and on a low carb diet for the past year. To my surprise, the Atkins Diet points the way to this...raw life diet.

I am brand new to this, have not yet started. Feel very lost, confused but I feel this is the way I should go.

I have no equipment, and I don't know what to eat except salad. Dr. Atkin's taught me to eat salad and many greens. Before his diet, I had no idea a baked potato was not a vegtable.
Now I feel it is time to move along into a raw lifestyle. That is my plan for the next year.
Thanks, Myca

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables