Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

questions about beginning a raw food diet
Posted by: christinnc ()
Date: August 20, 2009 04:39PM

Hello,
I recently attended a series of healthy living seminars and the speaker highly encouraged a raw foods diet. Prior to this, I had never heard of it. I am seriously considering this transition, but I have several questions. I am overweight and also have allergic rhinitis, which I've been told that both of this situations can be helped through raw foodism.

I've seen where some people say that it is rather inexpensive and I've also seen the opposite, but can anyone give me an idea of an average weekly grocery bill for someone practicing raw foodism. I am single in NC, so it would only be me and I'm used to an extremely low grocery bill (~75/mth).

Additionally, during the detox at the beginning...I'm nervous about how this may affect my work performance. I'm generally on my feet for about 6.5 - 7 hours a day being considerably active. Should I wait to transition while I'm not working?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: questions about beginning a raw food diet
Posted by: Molli ()
Date: August 20, 2009 05:02PM

Hi,

I'll share my experience, but I've only been eating raw for 2.5 weeks now.

My first week I went to a "health food" grocery store and purchased a HUGE quantity of organic fruits and vegetables. I had no idea how much I should buy, how much I would be eating, etc. That grocery bill was very high and some of what I bought went to waste because I couldn't eat it fast enough.

Last weekend (beginning of my second week) I have figured it out a little better and I spent $47. I used to spend about $150 a week buying a bunch of meat, junk food, etc.

As far as detox symptoms. From what I've read they vary from one person to the other. Some things that I have read seem to say that however your body generally detoxes itself, such as rashes, colds, etc., might be the kind of detox symptoms you will see. I don't know if that is correct or not, though, but the only detox symptoms I have experienced so far are:

A minor sore throat one day (and if I catch a cold, which is rare, it always starts with a sore throat). The sore throat went away in a few hours, and it wasn't that bad.

Another day my body decided to have a mass exit of everything in my intestines! I didn't feel ill that day at all like I would have if I had the flu. But I did need to be close to a bathroom for a few hours. That has also been a way for my body to get rid of something in the past. Probably TMI here!!

So there might be some truth to what I wrote above about our bodies having their own unique way to detox.

That is all I've felt so far. I doubt that I have completely detoxed in 2.5 weeks though, so maybe I'll have some more symptoms.

Posted by: eecho ()
Date: August 20, 2009 05:05PM

I can only address the cost. $75 per month seems crazy low to me. My girlfriend used to have a really low food budget, and she ate reaaaaaly low quality food. I'm glad you are making changes! Good job!

I personally spend ~$50 per week so $200 per month. And that is gracious, with making an occasional fancy gourmet raw recipe. This is lower than most people I talk to. It includes a good amount of organic, about 65% if I had to guess.

Of course, this is after a year once I got disciplined enough to abstain from overeating. It might cost you more at first while your doing the emotional transition, but eventually it will go down. Plus, your saving on eating out, alcohol, excessive snacking, extra meals, medicine, and doctor bills. So it all evens out! Plus (this may or may not help you), you feel awesome which is priceless!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2009 05:08PM by eecho.

Date: August 20, 2009 05:08PM

P.S. The most expesive things are nuts, dried fruit, and fancy condiments, so if you stay away from these things (which you should be doing anyway), your food bill will not be too bad!

Posted by: christinnc ()
Date: August 20, 2009 06:49PM

LOL most people can't believe my grocery bill either....but I generally do not eat breakfast...which I plan on changing and I buy $1 Michelina microwave meals to take to work, along with bottled water & lemonade packets. Generally every meal I made for dinner will last 2 days...so that's at most 15 meals a month, so I get by really easily right now and I'm not big on snack foods.

Honestly, that will probably be one of the harder parts for me...spending the money, especially being on a somewhat tight budget. That and abstaining from starches...I am big on pasta, potatoes, and rice.

Date: August 20, 2009 07:15PM

In order to eat a better breakfast, don't eat late at night, especially right before going to bed. Not only will this help you sleep better, but you'll be hungrier in the morning and be able to start your day with a good breakfast!

Don't worry, it'll work out. If my gf can make it work, so can you. She living off 50 cent mac and cheese boxes before, lol. Your budget will adapt, and once you start experiancing the benefits of raw, they will overshadow your financial worries. Just don't go overboard with a lot of the expensive stuff that people hype about, and you'll be fine.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: August 24, 2009 10:52PM

To keep prices down, I buy lots of fruits and veges on special at grocery stores. Farmer's markets also can have really good prices.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 27, 2009 10:20PM

I just started today and need HELP! I did no coffee, milk, etc... so far lots of fruit, a Mango Pudding Smoothie (V. Boutenko) - Yummers!, three fresh homegrown tomatoes - ate like apples... ohhh so good. No symptoms but two:
tired
legs ache.... AND my three kids are running around like crazy (all under 7)... I actually feel like I ate too much!? Two organic bananas, etc? Seems like a lot...

Ok - enough about my "fat" issues - WHAT books do you recommend to a newbie? The first book and best book you read that detailed (for us newbies) the raw foodist way - secondly - your most helpful "un"cookbook you couldn't live w/o. I tried emailing G Brick for advice - no response..... soooooo... a couple of theory books (I actually bought the Idiot's book - i detest the title but the content seems easily and rapidly digestable... and a great cookbook.. I'd like to move my kids and hubby into this too - they love raw stuff, so I just need kid friendly and fast recipes... is there a raw cookbook for kids?
Lastly - what do I absolutely need - blender and dehydrator and slicer to make zucchini pasta? What do you call those? Thanks for any and ALL advice.
Peace,
Sam

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables