Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw food and in college? Maybe even in Utah.
Posted by: Maurae ()
Date: August 28, 2009 03:30PM

So I am 20 years old, have been vegetarian for 6 years, vegan for a year and raw for a summer. I am starting my first year at the University of Utah and have found I know have no time; what a surprise, right? I want to know if anyone has some tips on transporting raw food, like keeping it in a backpack for a few an hour of two until I have time to eat it between classes? and also I'm somewhat new to a raw food, so any suggestions on where to start with small indoor gardens, what are some good things to grow? how to grow them? and best things to start sprouting? I've toyed with sprouting almonds, walnuts, lentils, garbanzo beans, and pine nuts. I'm also wondering about dehydrators, juicers, and cuisinarts. I do not own any of these, but do have a nice blender. Are any of these more important to have then others? and are there any I can get for cheap?

These are a lot of questions I know, but any feedback would be awesome and if you live in the area I'd love a whole food friend!

Mallory Rae

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw food and in college? Maybe even in Utah.
Posted by: eecho ()
Date: August 28, 2009 06:00PM

I think the best thing to own is a blender because you can make smoothies which are bost functional and delicous. A food processor is more for making recipies which are fun but not essential. Same with a dehydrater. I'd say the hierarchy goes blender>juicer>processor>dehydrator. Oh, and a good sharp knife+cutting board makes things much nicer.

If you get a juicer, in terms of popularity its a toss between a champion and a greenstar. Champion is cheaper and much easier to clean, but greenstar gets more juice out and doesn't oxidize the juice as much. I started out with a champion then got a greenstar later.

As for purchasing new equipment, one word: craigslist. I have seen a Champion juicer, Greenstar juicer, and Excalibur dehydrator on craigslist before. And other brands of stuff are always on there. Keep an eye out, its a lot cheaper than buying new.

Transportation: I have found the easiest and most practical food to transport via backpack is a smoothie in a good insulated bottle. I use the green 1.1Qt Stanley bottle. Its built like a rock. Its easier than whole fruits because it won't get crushed. [www.amazon.com]
Just pre-cool the bottle before you fill it with smoothie, add extra ice, and it'll definately keep all day.

Second easiest to transport is dried fruit and nuts, although I don't do this anymore because I stopped snacking for the most part, and those things don't make a meal. Good for starting out though.

If your pack isn't too full, then bananas and oranges are the two fruits that I like to carry around when I have to.

I don't know what you do to sprout, but I've found its extremely easy to sprout in a jars like these: [www.sanovivstore.com] If you already have some mason jars, you can also find just the lids that could go on them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2009 06:00PM by eecho.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables