Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Equipment Hype Questions
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 21, 2009 03:54PM

Hi, I wanted to know if investing in more expensive equipment is worth it. I own, from pre-raw days, the world cheapest juicer, a cheap Oster blender, and a cheap American Harvest dehydrator.

I am happy with the dehydrator, it has a thermostat that I checked for accuracy and control, and it works well, so I can live without an excaliber. Or so I think, Does anyone really think the excaliber is a necessity?

The juicer is a centrifigal and I'm told it wastes juice in the pulp. Is that true? I'm not so unhappy with this, but it does leak and it's days are numbered. Should it be replaced with an extractor?

The blender's kind of weak and sloppy and I cannot wait for it to burn out. Is the expence of a Vitamix worth it? Will it really make me deliriously happy? (Because for $500 +, it better.)

Anybody with advice?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Equipment Hype Questions
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 20, 2009 07:11PM

We purchased a Green Star juicer first and have been happy with it. The food processor we have is an inexpensive one and sometimes I'm sure we are going to destroy it. But my idea is be patient, there's not money for everything I would like to have. We are taking our time- our blender is also an inexpensive one. We are planning what we are getting carefully. I think the dehydrator is next. Our salads are huge and full of good vegies so don't need any kind of equipment for that. We rely on those for a large part of our diet. Guess it's better to put a few dollars away a little at a time and look forward to what will be coming! That's, I believe, a better way then relying on credit when short of patience.... I hope this helps. We probably will get an Excalibur and are looking forward to that.

Posted by: RawLibrarian ()
Date: June 21, 2009 05:34PM

I bought a high-speed blender (a BlendTec) over a year ago. It's been well worth it. I would advise you to get your VitaMix before replacing your juicer or getting a new dehydrator. I don't use a dehydrator myself, and you can use your blender to make juice--whiz the fruits or veggies in the blender and squeeze everything it through a strainer (I use a nut milk bag).

In fact, I'd recommend getting a food processor, if you don't already have one, before getting a juicer or dehydrator. That, and a high-speed blender, are the kitchen appliances I cannot live without.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: June 22, 2009 01:24AM

Well, I have me heart set on a Bledtec blender right now, but I have a $60 Brawn that is still chugging along, although noisily. When it goes, I will most likely invest in the Blendtec. I do feel the high dollar units are a good value if you are the type to use them everyday, several times a day, which I do.

For a couple hundred dollars you can get a pretty nice juicer these days. The Omega, Samson, The Solo Star II to name a few. For me, I would prefer to have the juicer first, as my life basically revolves around daily juicing.

From that point, I would invest in a blender, food processor & then a dehydrator. Of course, everyone's lifestyle is different, so the piece of equip. that I would put first on my list may not be the same as you.

But to answer your initial question; Yes, I do feel the expensive models are worth it, if you are going to put them to good use and not put them away in a cupboard after a couple of uses, never to be seen again!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables