Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Gone raw, but losing too much weight. Help!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 21, 2010 10:42AM

Howdy All,
I started on a fully raw diet on about 28 Feb this year (almost 8 weeks ago), however between then and now I have gone from 63kg (about 139 pounds) which I have been all my adult life, to 56.9kg (about 125 pounds). I am 5'6 and of small build. Some web chart said I should be around 58.2kg as an ideal weight. I have passed that and still losing so now am asking for help to gain and maintain weight.

When I started I found quite a bit of info on the net regarding smoothies and 'energy soup', (see Ashwaris energy soup). So smoothies made with almond milk, banana, slice ginger, some dates, cellery and a collard leaf (we dont have collard readily avail in Australia so I substituted for a leaf of cabbage) for breakfast (about 2 pints over about 45 minutes or so).
I was also told about the energy soup. I love this and have about 1 litre for lunch and 1 litre for dinner. This cold raw soup has tumeric, garlic, avocado, sea salt, cucumber and bulk greens say silver beet, kale, sweet potato leaves, cellery leaves, parsley etc, about 6 packed cups before blending (about 1 and a half pints twice a day, lunch and dinner). I snack on nuts and raisens between meals and have fresh fruit between meals and after dinner.

I was also told to not go overboard on the fruit and only about 15% of calories should come from fruit, but I still have 6 or 7 peices a day.

I love eating all that I eat, I love the simplicity of just shoving lovely green stuff in my new vitamix. No cooking, very little washing up.

A few other things, I dont smoke, drink alcohol or caffeinated drinks or soda drinks of any kind. I am 48 and reasonably active. Also (and probably too much info for some, for which I apologise) my stool is very green (same colour as it goes in), possibly indicating that I am not digesting it very well or fully. I often have a fair bit of gas. Lastly I am a type O blood type.
I feel great, though after squatting down for about 5 minutes recently, when I went to stand up I almost passed out, took everything I had to hold on the 4 or 5 seconds for it to pass. Maybe this indicates low blood pressure.

When my weight plummeted past 58kg I knew I needed to do something. So I added 125g of organic tofu per day to my diet, added in to the green energy soups. That started 4 days ago. I have not weighed myself since I started doing this, prob a bit soon to tell but will check weight after 1 full week on the tofu (in about 3 days time).
Some say that type O's need meat, and should avoid peanuts. This I presume is rubbish as there are plenty of type O raw foodies.

Anyway, I ask for any comments or suggestions as to how I can boost my weight, or at least stop the losing.
Also, does anyone know if it is possible to make any sort of bread, loaf or lebanese style flat breads, without cooking? Dried maybe? I would like to get more whole grains into my diet and grinding my own wheat appeals to me.

thank you all

AussieDave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gone raw, but losing too much weight. Help!
Posted by: Trive ()
Date: April 22, 2010 01:11AM

For raw bread recipes, check out www.goneraw.com. There are lots of them there.

Do you eat avocados? When I do I gain weight. I eat LOTS of fruit and it doesn't make me gain. Fats do, though. I don't want to gain so I limit the amount of nuts and avocado.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: April 22, 2010 02:19PM

Welcome AussieDave, I too do not wish to lose weight and find eating as much coconut and legumes as I care for helps me to maintain. Last year I lost 4 kg and a little muscle mass and then suffered from a back strain. I gained it back and feel stronger.

Date: April 22, 2010 06:41PM

P. S.: Have you tried entering what you eat in a day on www.fitday.com or other similar site? That way you can see how many calories you are eating and what percentage of your food is from fat (and protein and carb). It might help you to know what to adjust.

My favorite raw vegan

Date: April 23, 2010 10:17PM

Hi All, thanks for your responses.
Weight today is 56.5kg, getting scary. I have lost what little fat I had and quite a bit of muscle mass now. I feel good, however a little light headed if I stand up quickly.
Yes, I eat 1 avocado a day (1/2 in each of my lunch and dinner green energy soup smoothie)
I eat macadamia and peanuts and sultanas, but pretty much nothing in the way of grains (hence the need for a bread type recipe)
I will try adding coconut to my diet.
I have not been eating legumes, will add some peas and beans to my diet.
I will check out that calorie counting website and the one suggested for bread recipies.
Thanks for all the good info.

-AussieDave

Date: April 24, 2010 03:23AM

Aussie Dave,
Are you in Oz? I'm across the ditch in NZ, the land of the long white cloud (and kiwis). Regardless, hello and welcome!

My favorite raw vegan

Date: April 25, 2010 11:02AM

Hi Aussie Dave,
You've mentioned almost passing out and lightheadedness when standing and this could be low blood pressure but seems to me to indicate low blood sugar, especially with your steady weight loss. It could be that you're getting more of a cleansing effect than a building one. It takes a while to get used to new foods, high fiber and possibly a new chemical balance (fitday also checks minerals). I think it's possible to get too much fiber early on causing too frequent BM's where some of the more complex foods might not have a chance to get fully digested and assimilated. Or, your body may be rejecting just one ingredient causing a quicker transit and undigested food?

The principles of food combining might help. The energy soup sounds well combined. Nuts and raisins should be eaten at separate times because they digest differently, each taking time, dried fruits causing gas with some.

Just a couple ideas...

Date: April 28, 2010 03:47PM

"Weight today is 56.5kg, getting scary. I have lost what little fat I had and quite a bit of muscle mass now. I feel good, however a little light headed if I stand up quickly."

Aussie Dave, are you leveling out? Are you alright?

Posted by: Laura-Jane ()
Date: May 02, 2010 02:26AM

In my experience you will level out and find your natural body weight. Just make sure you're eating lots of good fats, avocados, nuts, coconut oil, etc. Especially coconut oil, you can feel how fatty it is when you're eating it, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. And remember, portion sizes are huge. Good luck and keep us posted.

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: May 14, 2010 10:13AM

the cabbage leaf could be the gas source. and yes, like others have said, fat and protein are crucial to prevent weight loss. Many say that on raw food you lose all your old weight, old fat,as that is where your toxins are stored. then, you slowly rebuild as you eat, with new, toxin free healthy mass. Have faith, and eat more heavy stuff....like nuts, seeds, fats, avocados.
I have been raw since september, and i've lost 130 pounds so far, so as you can see our journey's are different, but i too will have to figure out the way to body build in the raw!!! i am type O also. no worries, i know others who are type O. you don't NEED meat. but you should pay attention to what that means historically for you in the nutrition department. it means, hey, we should be living on proteins.....a lot of em! so focus on those greens.....and nuts...
your diet sounds awesome !!!! but keep in mind that to me it sounds like a good combo for weight loss. add in some raw pies, and definitely do some grains...but stay away from wheat if possible, as type O is not down with wheat.

The Raw Lion 440 pounds to 225 pounds!

Date: July 01, 2010 09:37PM

Hello,

Eat more nuts, legumes, sprouts cereals...crackers made with sunflower, pumpkins, sesame, flax seeds....sprouted buckwheat, millet, quinoa or kamut.... Add more oils to your salads and veggies...add little bit on your smoothies, nuts also... Do some exercices....

I hope it can help you !

Hello,

I’m Dominique Lebeau, Nurse, Naturopath, Gourmet raw food chef and educator certified by Living Light Culinary Arts Institute. I’m from Montréal, Québec, Canada.

I invite you on my facebook page. Feel free to share somethings about health, weight loss. Did you recovery from sicknesses? Do you want to share your testimonies ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables