Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

new and a little frustrated
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 20, 2010 05:51PM

Hi all ... I'm new to the raw food world ... today is day 14!! I'm feeling pretty good and surprisingly, having a very easy time of it. Hardly tempted at all by my old food choices. My frustration, though, is that I'm on day 14 and I haven't even lost ONE pound. Don't notice much change in how my clothes feel either. That seems impossible to me, but the evidence stands. I'm eating lots of fresh fruits and vegies, raw sprouts which I'm growing myself, soaking nuts and eating pretty sparingly, and being very conscious. Part of me wants to say heck with it, but as I am just coming off a year of cancer with two surgeries and 6 months of treatment, I'm not eating raw so much for the weight loss, but more for the health benefits (and I hope to never have this cancer experience again). But SOME weight loss sure would be nice. I've read so many stories about how 'the weight just melted off', and mine is holding on with a grip. It's infuriating!! I do notice a big difference in my skin, which is nice, and my digestion is pretty good. So there are benefits I'm experiencing and I want to honor those ... but some weight loss would be nice. Any insights or comments?? I really am enjoying the whole experience for the most part, and excited about becoming a more experienced raw fooder. Thanks for letting me vent!

desertrawk

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: new and a little frustrated
Posted by: Trive ()
Date: May 20, 2010 08:38PM

My goodness, you have been through a lot! I'm glad that you're already experiencing some benefits from a raw diet, although I'm mystified that you haven't had any weight loss.

Have you tried entering all the foods you eat in a day on www.fitday.com, nutridiary, or another site like that to see what your percentage of fat is? Perhaps that would help you find the problem (e.g., the quantities of nuts, olive oil and avocados were mine).

If that doesn't help, you might want to write a typical day's intake here and someone may have ideas about why you've not had weight loss.

Hmmm... Are you getting exercise of some kind? I started with plain old walking, but others on this site have some really interesting activities (fire hoops or fire batons or some such - YEOW)! I hadn't realized that I live such a mundane life.

Keep up the good effort and you'll be rewarded, I'm sure.

My favorite raw vegan

Date: May 21, 2010 03:44AM

Hi Trive ... I hit reply to your response, but don't know if you got it or not, as I am new to this posting biz, but wanted to let you know I appreciated your response, so I'm posting it here, too. I had not heard of fitday.com, so no, I haven't kept track of what I've been eating, but will definitely check it out. yeah, I'm mystified too, but will stick with the raw diet anyway, and trust the weight will melt off sooner or later. I'm not eating very much fat, so don't think that's the problem, however, I am NOT exercising, as I am still recovering from a recent surgery, but hope to start something soon, and maybe that will help my metabolism some. It's a mystery!! Anyway, your donkey is the CUTEST little thing, EVER!!! I LOVE it!! Thanks again.

desertrawk

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: May 21, 2010 11:56PM

Congrats on your decision to go raw! It is easier to do this "raw" thing when you are not experiencing many cravings, which your posts suggest that you are not...

You mentioned raw sprouts, which is very high on the list of cancer fighting foods. Check out some of Ann Wigmore's writings on sprouts, very informative.

Do you have a juicer? Juicing is a very effective way to supply the body with easily assimilated nutrients which you need at this time for immune system rebuilding, after fighting the disease & the treatments.

The weight loss? It will happen. We all experience transition & body changes differently. I lost over 40 lbs. in a 6 mo. period when I went vegan, and maybe 15 - 2o more when I went raw.

My wife is eating maybe 45% raw, and has lost around 15 lbs. or so. If you are looking for some good reading, may I suggest Victoria Boutenko's books for you.

I am working my way through all of them at this time, and I started off with "Raw Family". It was an excellent read!

Keep us posted of your progress! smiling smiley

Date: May 22, 2010 05:44PM

Thanks, juicerkatz, for the great info and support. Yep, I have a juicer and a vitamix. Would like to get a nice dehydrator eventually, but that will come in time. Still no weight loss, which boggles my mind, but I'm letting go of that and just enjoying the experience of feeling good and knowing I'm really being kind to my body by giving it this raw food experience after such an intense experience with surgery and chemo. I'm feeling good and excited to learn more and more as I go along this path. I am very inspired by all the postings here.

Thanks again.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: May 22, 2010 06:34PM

"...Still no weight loss, which boggles my mind, but I'm letting go of that ..."

Thank is probably the best approach you can take; If you continue to stress over the weight loss, you body may continue to say "oh no I'm not!!!" grinning smiley

We plan on getting a dehydrator eventually as well, possibly the Excalibur, but have also been looking at the one that pborst linked to a few days ago.

[www.good4uproducts.com]

glad you are enjoying yourself here -
And, be sure to post in the other parts of the forum as well, don't be shy! winking smiley

Some of us never venture into the other subforums...I rarely come into the meeting place...

Date: May 22, 2010 11:47PM

Hi and how wonderful that you are enjoying living in the raw. In regards to weight loss I can only comment on my observations over the years. I am a third generation Vegan and so my information to you is based on that. Whenever we 'transition,' our diets our foods from vegi or vegan or raw our bodies undergo some amazing experiences as the cells of the body recognize new and healthier foods and the body is amazing the introduction of raw living foods has a major impact on the cellular level we get rid of toxins, etc. etc. and out bodies begin to detox the garbage we use to eat, just a lot goes on...any weight loss if that is your goal will happen in a natural kind of way as your body begins to respect what is coming into it. Be patient it will happen and your body will weigh what it needs to weigh as you adjust to living foods. Good luck.

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: June 02, 2010 04:02PM

OK, congrats that you have found the path of light. Have faith, and you will reach that "glow"ing light soon enough. OK, firstly, 30% of your diet needs to be greens. I just have to put that out there ASAP. every morning I have a big green smoothie. fruits, greens, water, maybe a little bit of fat, like half an avocado or some flax seeds, etc. i can tell you the key to weight loss. I am on month 9 of raw, and have lost 140 pounds !!!!! yes, their were phases when it was literally melting off.for the first 5 months I lost an average of 1 pound per day!!!! for the first 2 months I lost an average of 2 pounds per day !!!!!!!!! thats melting ! ! !
anyway, you don't need any fats seeds or nuts hardly at all, i mean next to none.when i started i looked at my body and i asked myself do i need to eat any fat at all really.(other than minute extremely healthy fats on a daily basis,like flax seeds)
so i went pretty much fat free other than some good fats in my smoothie to help remove evil fats. so what you need to do is stop eating nuts as they are high in calorie and they just don't have the healing level and nutrient levels of greens. drink 2 smoothies a day if you have to. also juice juice juice. greens greens greens. I was juicing carrots apples, greens,celery,etc etc. losing lots of weight still. its the fats that just plain stop the weight loss. why would the body be in weight loss mode if you eat fatty nuts??? in nature, nuts are a fall food, and humans would likely only be ab;e to eat them in bulk in the fall, a time of year when we should gain a little weight. but we aren't in the wild, and it ain't winter! i know it sounds rough, but losing a pound a day is so inspiring the rest of the stress is just meaningless. at least thats how it was for me in the harder early phases.
remember, greens are what stimulate the weight loss, help keep the body's alkalyzing system in check, and have all the nutrients we EVER need! fats stop weight loss. days when i would eat even a handful of nuts, no weight loss! eat a pile of fruit instead. i mean PILE!!! their are days when i would eat 15 bananas,20 tangerines,10 strawberries,an apple, a bag of grapes, and who knows what else, i would still lose 1-2 pounds that day!!! its the fats that stop the weight loss. also if you have a place you can get wheatgrass shots, DO IT!!! i owe much of my original health and weight loss to wheatgrass juice. serious stuff. anyone who wants to lose weight should be worshipping greens,wheatgrass,barley grass.
GREENS GREENS GREENS !!!!!!!!!!!!
victoria boutenko is the green smoothie goddess. studied apes to discover our missing link to greens. green smoothie will save your life.
i worship green smoothie. green juice. everything you need to live is in it. meaning every other thing you eat all day is just for your mental, but the smoothie is perfect health. have faith you will come out the other end, then guess what, you WILL!!!!

The Raw Lion 440 pounds to 225 pounds!

Date: June 06, 2010 12:23AM

Maybe your system is still "off" from the cancer. Your body has been through so much that it is digging in and not releasing anything. Just keep going and keep in mind that you are doing GREAT things for your body!

Date: June 06, 2010 07:58PM

Hi, I too am new and battling cancer which got me started on the raw diet. I haven't had any weight loss yet either, after about 2 weeks but have to admit I've been going pretty heavily on the nuts and seeds. I seem to have this fear of hunger even though I haven't experienced any on the diet. I've been fully satisfied and feeling great.
This forum has been really helpful, I'll cut down on the nuts etc. and concentrate on greens.
Thanks all.

Date: July 06, 2010 01:47AM

If you don't already had a previous medical condition, it never hurts to get your thyroid checked. I am not saying anything is the matter.
Just can't hurt if you haven't had a check up in a while.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables