Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How prepare for disaster while raw?
Posted by: LulaLee ()
Date: July 01, 2011 07:57PM

Hi,

How do we store up food for the event of long-term disaster events, lack of electricity to run our blenders, juicers, etc.?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How prepare for disaster while raw?
Posted by: Dita ()
Date: July 07, 2011 04:59PM

Hi LulaLee,

Good question! I live in LA and it didn't even cross my mind....maybe it should have smiling smiley I don't think I would invest in a generator but that's one thing you can do to be able to run your blender/juicer, another is to get an AC/DC converter with an adapter for your car. Otherwise if you're wondering about the storing of already prepared juices/smoothies I don't recommend doing that. They're best when consumed immediately after you made them. They lose some nutrition over time (about 5% over 8-10 hrs is what I heard) and, more importantly, start oxidizing once they're exposed to air. If you need to store them for a few hours, after juicing, fill up a bottle up to the brim so there's very little room left for air (or create a vacuum, if you have the equipment) and put them in the refrigerator. I would still only recommend it for preparing them in the evening so that you have them ready to take to work in the morning.
To store food, I would make some crackers/breads (if you have a dehydrator, do you?) and some vegetables/fruits can be dehydrated as well and keep for quite a while without refrigeration. Also, you can make sourkraut, pickles, and some other stuff that you can store in jars for a while. As long as they're vacuum sealed they will last quite a while! I hope this helps!
Dita

Posted by: raw artist ()
Date: July 12, 2011 03:56PM

Hello LulaLee, Glad you asked this question. I've wondered what to do in that kind of situation also. Dita has some great answers & I would like to add one. How about dehydrating the good old fashioned way using the sun?. It would just take some wood & screen, etc. Make some simple pull out trays in a wooden rack. I would put some removable screening outside of dehydrator to help keep bugs out.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 12, 2011 05:40PM

The sun gets hot enough to cook food though, it's not really a great option. There are instructions out there for building your own inexpensive dehydrator using box fans etc.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables