Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Running and raw food
Posted by: mkw04 ()
Date: March 08, 2012 10:55PM

I am a runner and currently training for a distance race. I was wondering if there is any advice out there for me. I use to use gatorade for the electrolytes, power bars, and the goo stuff during long races...what should I use now? Oh... and the big pasta dinners we have always had the night before...what would be a good substitute? Help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Running and raw food
Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: March 20, 2012 03:41PM

drink green smoothies!!!!! the nutrient is vital for your body to rebuild and the electrolytes. crucial!

Posted by: maxie7 ()
Date: April 02, 2012 08:05AM

Natural source of electrolytes is young coconut water.

I have heard of "dateorade" I think it's basically dates blended with water, I've seen recipes in (I think) Brendan Brazier's book (thrive nutrition? or something like that) and also in Freelea's ebook, I think the ratios of dates:water vary... try googling it. You could flavour it with fruit juice.

You could do both by blending the dates with coconut water (or a mixture of coconut water & H2o/fruitjuice)

Posted by: nrothgarden ()
Date: April 15, 2012 09:05AM

mkw04 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am a runner and currently training for a
> distance race. I was wondering if there is any
> advice out there for me. I use to use gatorade for
> the electrolytes, power bars, and the goo stuff
> during long races...what should I use now? Oh...
> and the big pasta dinners we have always had the
> night before...what would be a good substitute?
> Help!

Yes, make some power smoothies and you might find that they're be better than any of the stuff you used.

Check out my raw food review blog at rawfoodland.com!

Posted by: fresherthanlife ()
Date: May 08, 2012 03:21AM

Definitely replace that gatorade with coconut water! Your body will thank you smiling smiley

[fresherthanlife.com]

Posted by: Gabita ()
Date: June 15, 2012 08:26PM

Greek athletes used honey instead of goo thingy. I ran marathons on honey, of course now i would chose raw honey, and coconut water for electrolytes! Fruit fruit fruit for energy, include bananas and oranges! Good luck!

Posted by: jayelle ()
Date: August 05, 2012 05:15PM

Dates are really good for energy. And coconut water is great for replacing electrolytes. Especially from fresh young coconuts. Fruit is great too! There's a raw triathelte on facebook whose posts I read constantly. There are tons of raw athletes who do everything from running to body building. The guy whose posts I follow is Tim Van Orden.

*hugs and blessings*
Jayelle

Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: September 02, 2012 07:21PM

Oats are the healthiest complex carbs imo. Oats with raisens and water are perfect running fuel.

Posted by: chat ()
Date: September 02, 2012 08:46PM

WanderRA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oats are the healthiest complex carbs imo. Oats
> with raisens and water are perfect running fuel.

How do you eat raw oats?

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Posted by: lanshan75 ()
Date: November 27, 2012 06:24AM

I have been annoyed by this problem for a long time,so thank you for your post, it is really useful for me.

Posted by: ammylin ()
Date: December 24, 2012 07:07AM

Just hope you have a great day!

where there is a will, there is a way. runescape gold rs gold

Posted by: Rayshak ()
Date: February 14, 2013 02:39AM

Soak them overnight in coconut water or put them in your smoothies

Posted by: Living Food ()
Date: February 25, 2013 12:16AM

Soak them overnight in coconut water or put them in your smoothies

Not good enough. Sure, soaking does help eliminate the enzyme inhibitors, but only a small fraction of the antinutrients and only results in a slight increase in nutritional value. Even worse, oats are extremely low in the enzyme "phytase" so soaking removes almost none of the phytic acid - an antinutrient that prevents mineral absorption and puts a lot of stress on your digestive tract. Soaking is only a slight improvement over ungerminated oats, but if you really want to turn oats from a liability (raw or even soaked oats) into an outstanding health food, you need to sprout them.

A post I made in another thread about sprouting oats:

Yes, sprouting the oats is a much better idea. Unsprouted oats have nutrient + enzyme inhibitors (like phytic acid) that make them difficult to digest and rob your body of nutrients [all grains, legumes, nuts and seeds do], but when you sprout them most of these inhibitors are deactivated. Sprouting also dramatically increases the enzyme, vitamin, and even mineral levels, and also increases the bioavailability of those nutrients. When you sprout seeds some b vitamin levels can increase 2,000-3,000%!

Raw nuts, seeds, grains, legumes (including oats) = hard to digest, irritate your digestive tract and inhibit nutrient absorption. In the long run these foods can cause serious mineral deficiencies.

Sprout nuts, seeds, grains, legumes (including oats) = very easy to digest, loaded with vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and other phytonutrients in the most absorbable form. Because they're rapidly growing, sprouts are also brimming with electromagnetic vibration (life energy), far more then any other food. An amazing food capable of fixing many nutrient deficiencies.

Another post I made on the general changes that occur during the sprouting process:

Yes. Nuts (and seeds, grains, and legumes) contain nutrient and enzyme inhibitors that not only make them very hard to digest, but can also rob your body of minerals. Long-term consumption of unsprouted nuts and seeds can lead to serious mineral deficiencies and digestive problems. Most people just soak their nuts, and that does help break down the inhibitors, but only partially. Sprouting is necessary for maximum digestion and nutrient availability.

Why does sprouting inactivate these compounds? Well, they serve two main purposes: prevent the seed from germinating in unfavorable conditions and prevent the seed from being eaten before it germinates (after that it's on its own). The condition these seeds are waiting for is optimum moisture; sprouting emulates natural rainfall conditions and tricks the seed into germinating. Before it germinates, it can lay dormant for years. But when it starts to germinate, the enzymatic activity skyrockets, concentrated fats, proteins, and carbohydrates are predigested and broken down into more easily digestible forms, and nutritional compounds like vitamins and phytonutrients increase dramatically (remember that the plant produces these for it's own benefit and metabolic purposes. Germination results in a massive increase in enzymes, vitamins, some minerals, hormones, oxygen levels, and other phytonutrients, and to top it off sprouts have the highest electromagnetic vibration [read: life force energy] of any food due to this rapid growth and mobilization of nutrients). So as you see, sprouting doesn't just eliminate harmful compounds, but greatly magnifies the nutrient levels in the food too. In this age of high stress and pollution, sprouts are necessary for proper health and nutrition. Veggies, fruits, and unsprouted nuts and seeds just won't cut it anymore (more on that later).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables