Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

2 days Raw and am Needing Support
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 26, 2007 06:16AM

Hi,
I am Lynsey, from San Diego. I am 25 years old. I just went about 90 percent raw two days ago and am finding it difficult. Not the eating part, but the detoxification. How long does this take?
Part of my reason for going raw is that I had short-term anxiety, which has left me dependent on pills. I take wellbutrin and a small dose of xanax daily as perscribed and purchase flexeral (a muscle relaxant) in Mexico and have become addicted.
I function normally through life. No one would ever guess my 'secret'.
How long does the detoxification take usually? Has anyone had success in getting off of perscription drugs by going raw?
Thank you. I appreciatte any and all advice
Hugs

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2 days Raw and am Needing Support
Posted by: taylor ()
Date: January 26, 2007 12:58PM

Hi Lynsey! welcome to raw foods.well-i went raw on jan1.2007.it is hard.i don't know if i went thru detox but i have been juicing and trying to follow some of the things prescribed to get better health.i was pretty sick and on all kinds of meds.and the threat of more. diabetes meds and hbp meds and high chorlestrol meds and pain killers and then zoloft. i said no no no-to the thing s i could change by a different lifestyle-the overweight thing i could change.i just went into a bad depression and i did not know why i was gaining and all that was happening. the dr. put me on zoloft. it gets me undepressed.when i was no on it-i had not stop eating gauge. i think my emotions were so overwrought-i just ate and ate. now i have lost 55 pounds since oct.18th-06...i hope one day to get off the zoloft.but right now-detox or not...i am staying on it.i do not ever want toget in that shape again.the raw foodist will probably tell u to get off the drugs u are on. i say anything that addicts u is not good. but i am addicted to feeling good now that i am not so depressed.so it has to be upto you. these guys are really into it and anything u need to know -i am sure that they have the experience and know what to tell u to do.but mostly i wanted to welcome u.thanks taylor

Date: January 26, 2007 08:21PM

Thank you for replying and congrats on your weight loss. That is very inspirational.
I don't mind staying on the wellbutrin, but I want to get off of the flexeril and the xanax. The wellbutrin helps with my anxiety and with my adhd.
Today's my third day going raw and I am feeling better. Very anxious, but better than yesterday.

Date: January 28, 2007 06:50AM

I am so glad for you. I also would keep on the wellbutrin.I think u are smart about the other stuff. my sister was also addicted to xanax.I pray your journey into raw foods will be good for you and help u like u think it will. I am sure it will be good. u know what u feel u need to do. I guess this is where the raw foodist on this site tell me to listen to my body.anyway-welcome and see u on the boards.taylor

Date: January 28, 2007 09:58PM

I hope this helps: I 'went raw' (lol, I've never put it like that before) in October 2005. I felt great for a long while, and lost about 20 pounds in a few months, but I got mononucelosis ('mono'/glandular fever) around January 2006. I don't think it was anything to do with my diet, since I'd felt great until I caught it and I recovered quickly.

I carried on with the diet, though my doctor and family pressured me to eat 'real food', and I caved in. They even started to say I was anorexic for a time. I suppose I should have been more resillient, but they were genuinely worried about me, albeit needlessly. I wish I could persuade them not to follow the destructive eating habits so many westerners have, but I won't preach to them - I can't. But I can make my own choices - that's my right.

In January, like you, I made a New Year's resolution to start afresh, and I'm just starting to feel better: my skin is clearer, I can focus on my thoughts (rather than my stomach) more and I sleep more deeply, waking up refreshed.

Unfortunately, I'm finding myself avoiding my parents and over-protective friends. I won't go out with them if it's over a mealtime, which is a shame, but it's still difficult. Maybe if, after 6 months, I look as good as I'm starting to feel again, and I don't get ill, I'll be able to say 'I told you so; please be happy for me'. I really do feel good, and I'm sure you will, too, really soon.

All I can say is <please> stick at it! I'm no doctor, but I do believe you can (sorry if I sound as if I'm trying to be all-knowing, because I'm certainly not that, either!) heal yourself... I'm sure everyone else here is behind you, too yawning smiley)

Date: January 29, 2007 01:41AM

Thank you smiling smiley You guys are so nice on here!

Taylor, How long did it take your sister to feel herself again after quiting the xanax? My shakes are gone but I feel a bit socialy anxious.

Autruche, I had mono last winter and was in the hospital with it. I couldn't get over it and they attributed my slow recovery to stress, hence the xanax. Then I got the aches so they gave me the flexeril. I finally feel recovered from it but felt tired and sick for a long time. Thank you for encouraging me smiling smiley

I'm going to stick to it smiling smiley I feel better already and got so many complments on my skin. I ran without my arches cramping up or joint aching for the first time since I was a teenager. I'm no longer constipated (sorry if that was TMI )

My mom's been suprisingly supportive. When she saw me this morning and knew I was not taking xanax and had a natural high from running she said no matter how weird my 'new diet' sounds it looks like it's working.
Thanks for the warm welcome smiling smiley

Date: February 02, 2007 03:24AM

well-she got cut off the xanax cause she was doing sort of questionable stuff to get more...she also was quitting smoking at the same time...not knowing yet she was being cut off of the xanax.she was crying and grumpy for a weekend.after that i left.so she did get over it.well-good for you Lynsey! I am gla du are better. i am finding out the exercise thing is really good.it makes u happy to be alive.I am staring to really crave and enjoy raw foods alot.Lynsey-i know what you mean about sickness...that was me.could barelymoveor get out of bed. i would lay in bed almost all day-hurting.so i am praying for you to be better.good luck.what are u eating? do u look on this site to read stuff and learn what to be doing? taylor

Posted by: sachelle ()
Date: February 04, 2007 04:16AM

hey lynsey!! i am new to the raw community too...i have been struggling with weight since i was 2 and it caused some depression and that led to some pretty crazy self medication methods...i totally understand can relate to going to mexico for pills....my best friend monica i became so dependent from them for anxiety and depression we were making trips every other day or so.....anyways i am 21 and thought since we are around the same age and both new to this we could help eachother...i would love to have someone in san diego that can relate to what i am going through and is trying to improve thier health and life by going raw!!! a lot of people are thinking i am crazy for what i am doing so i need a friend who is supportive!!
if you want to get together and go to a raw restaurant or to the all vegan some raw food store by my house i am always up for it......it is Rancho's Market on 30th st....it is really cool i went there today they have a lot of raw things and some books as well....i found young coconut there after searching all of san diego for them...and recently i found out durian is at ranch 99 market so i am planning on checking that out tomorrow....hopefully i don't sound dumb i keep going on but i guess i am just excited someone my age is just starting this raw life too!!! so many people get on this forum and talk about how they have no raw friends and feel like loners i don't want that you knw...anyway let me know if you want to meet up sometime or talk more i am always here
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
sachelle

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables