Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

here as a result of my evergrowing salad addiction..
Posted by: silverundertone ()
Date: April 16, 2007 04:16PM

im a newbie...names rhiannon..

ive been vegetarian for 6 years, vegan for 1.5 years as a result of a dairy allergy..which has done alot to open my eyes to the way food is produced and how it effects the body.

ive been (about 70%) raw on and off for the last few years and want to keep doing this...as im feeling better than ever.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: here as a result of my evergrowing salad addiction..
Posted by: Fud ()
Date: April 27, 2007 01:56AM

I was reading your "vegan due to dairy allergies" and it brought this to mind.

Here's something interesting I was "tipped" as a result of my use of the word "vegan" to mean strictly dietary changes. A "vegan" friend said "veganism is a moral stance, not a dietary philosphy, the diet just happens to fall inline with the moral stance of animal rights and includes insects (etc.) in the animal kingdom".

Anything not done for moral reasonings isn't veganism according to my friend. Like me, I want to become 100% raw/living for ME. I know the benefits and I want them. I don't purchase things like leather clothing, belts, etc. generally because I can make hemp, cotton, or synthetic alternatives much cheaper. However, I shave with a straight razor and have a very nice strop that has leather on it. By definition, even if I do manage to go 100% raw, I'll not be a vegan because of the razor strop.

My vegan friend has a paddle strop made from synthetic leather, and while it works, he admits the regular leather does a better job. Some vegans will recycle used animal products such as leather scraps from shoes or jackets, but other vegans argue that this practice is hypocritical.

I hope I don't offend anyone here. I'm trying to become raw foodist for health reasons and I try to be conscientious of the land we live in but I don't do it for moral reasons. I do it because it's the right thing to do. If I had to chose between me and an animal I'd choose my own survival. I guess that's selfish. I hope not offensive though.

Ironically my straight razor with the leather strop and my home made 100% vegetable based, cold processed soaps have virtually eliminated my grooming waste and is more earth friendly than vegan friendly shaving options.. If I could tolerate rinsing and washing reusable cloth "wipes" I'd do that instead of TP in order to completely eliminate my grooming waste. I haven't got the stomach for that, atm, though.

Re: here as a result of my evergrowing salad addiction..
Posted by: silverundertone ()
Date: April 27, 2007 02:59PM

your totally right on what you said about veganism. im vegan by diet...but i will admit to having a liking towards leather.

dont worry about offending anyone. ive found that often leads to censorship of thoughts and ideas that..while possible offensive to some...may be some of the most intelligent things youve heard in a while.

i dont know about other people..but i dont want to miss out on ideas. wether or not they are completely alligned with how i do or dont live my life.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables