Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What do YOU do??
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 20, 2007 05:20AM

Hi everyone.... i'd like to know how you all handle going to social gatherings with non-rawfooders? if for example there is a birthday dinner at a restaurant for a good friend or family member...do you go and just not eat? or do you bring a raw juice with you to drink instead of ordering anything? or bring an apple with you? order a non-organic salad, dressing on the side?

this is one of the hardest things for me... sometimes i feel like i isolate myself, making up excuses to not be able to go to these functions, because i always face ridicule if i am choosing to 'juice' that day... or if i want to eat raw... i am SO sick of people thinking i have an eating problem if i am choosing to eat raw or juice when they are the ones eating dead mexican food... i just dont know how to handle that any more...

does anybody have any suggestions?? i would love any advice you could give to me!!
thank you!
PJ

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What do YOU do??
Date: September 20, 2007 02:30PM

It depends on where we go. Most of the time I take my own dressing and an avocado and order a plain side salad. I know it's not organic but where I live (small town, Nebraska panhandle) I can't buy organic anyway. I either grow it or drive 2 hours to get it. I've found Mexican restaurants are the worst for me. The ones I've gone to just don't serve plain salads, so I do, I go without. Oh, I'll have a water with lemon just to make everyone feel a little more at ease. I ALWAYS tell the waiter I'm raw vegan and then ask them what is available to me. More than once the cook/chef has made something for me (usually just a salad but with extra veggies).
Good Luck and next time you feel uncomfortable or ridiculed remember - there are others like you out there going through the same thing! We're with you! A.

Date: September 21, 2007 01:29AM

Thanks A

It helps alot knowing that i am not alone!!!

PJ

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: September 21, 2007 04:09PM

I think I've seen this question on the first forum on this site called Living and Raw Foods Discussion (Vegan). So, you might ask it there or search for previous discussions on it.

Personally, I would probably order a non-organic salad and maybe bring a dressing with me in a tiny tupperware container and bring a raw bar in my purse, just in case they don't have a salad I like.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: September 23, 2007 03:59PM

-I hear you. Remember: How you eat is VERY private. Maintain your dignity....and do not comment if you are cross examined. Let your friends and family know that you are there to see THEM....and support THEM. After that, just order a glass of water and say you are not eating.

-If you think the restaurant might have it.....you can always ask for fresh, uncut fruit....like a banana / orange / apple / strawberries. Restaurants will sometimes have these items. For myself, I usually just skip the issue by eating before I leave the house....and bringing a snack. While my friends eat crap....I munch on an apple! Ha! ha! What could be better advertising! If non-rude people ask....then I simply say I'm on a special diet! Which is true! LOL.

-Hope this is helpful.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables