Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

informal introduction of a Christian vegan in TN
Posted by: cosbynian ()
Date: January 07, 2008 12:51AM

I am fairly new to this site; been posting a few comments. For those who have read some of my comments and for those who haven't, my name is David and I live in a small town in Tennessee called Cosby (hence the name Cosbynian if any have wondered what it means).
I am a male, age 28, and eat about 60-75% raw. I've been a vegan for about 10 years though i have experimented with eating fish for a couple months throughout this, along with other failures and regressions (e.g. chesse, occasional sweet, etc.). I've tried going all raw several times but find my food bill skyrocket because I have a very high metabolism and always seem to loose muscle and weight no matter how much I eat. Tennessee is also not the best climate for raw foods--Costa Rica would certainly be nice which I would love to visit someday since I am fairly fluent in Spanish also.

I studied Nutrition for four years at the University of Tennessee but left in disgust my senior year because of the poor knowledge and education I received--note, it was not because of grades because I had a 3.99 GPA nor was it money because i had schooled paid for. I could have very easily pursued a master's in nutrition and have it paid for with my goal of nutritional counseling but did not want to contribute any more to a system that systematically teaches error and poor nutrition. Even in nutrition classes, diet and lifestyle was deemphasized and drugs, burning, mutilation encouraged as the best treatment for disease. My last week at school was very interesting and climactic and clearly reveals the disaster of "higher education." I wrote this experience in a small booklet if anybody is interesting in reading it (about 20 pages)

After college, I moved back to my mom and dad's property and built a small cabin which was one of my dreams. It's small, because I live by myself, but cozy and nice. One of my objectives has been to stay out of debt, which I maintained thus far (thank the Lord), because I cringe at the idea of being a slave to a bank for 20-30 years. I was very fortunate to have land to build on and for this I am grateful; it would have been very difficult to stay out of debt if I had to buy property. I am not totally finished as of yet, but building my house along with some other structures has been a very rewarding experience.

If building a house is a dream of anybody else, i give you my support and am willing to give advice if desired because I started very green, having very little construction experience. That has changed now, however, and I am currently trying to get my own construction business started.

I am just writing this to give a little info about myself and hopefully meet other people. I strive to follow the life of Christ (which is not very favorable no matter where you go) but it is what brings me the greatest peace. As I stray from His example, i find the light fade from my eye and my joy greatly diminished.

For all those with whom I have engaged dialogue, I appreciate the comments and input. Even if we differ in views, I find that this a good exercise for the mind and causes it to sharpen and expand.

If anybody would like to share some of their info/history, I would be glad to hear it. Here or PM. There are not a lot of people interested in healthy living in my range of contact, so I would love to meet others even if it is only online.
I was also wondering if there are any other Christians on this site? If so I would love to hear from you.

Well, that's enough about myself. I'm writing this partly because I've been a little bored seeing how business is slow from the holidays and the weather not very conducive to outside activity. I find very little joy in watching television as well, which I have no channels to watch even if I wanted to, which I don't.
God bless.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: informal introduction of a Christian vegan in TN
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 08, 2008 04:26AM

Hey there...
I found your intro very nice. I only get on here once or twice/week and read more than write. I am transitioning to raw. It is hard. I am hungry, on a budget, and I "cook" for a family of five. They are supportive and experimental, but not willing to give up cooked food 100%. Talk about self control tests when it comes to food aromas. I come on here in search of answers and support.
Building your own place...what a great thing. And the gift of land, what a true blessing. I live in Maine, with my husband and three children. And we too hope one to build our own place... just need the land...
I also wanted to address your love for Christ. I too, hold his gift very true and dear to my heart. I long to truly live by His example, and have had no greater healing than in His Love and Forgiveness.
Ya know, I found a Raw Christian Website/Forum... i didn't find nearly as much straight up health answers and info, but just the same it was inspiring for sure... I think it is rawchristians.org. I admire your boldness and dedication to the Lord. Many Blessings to you, hope to read you aroundsmiling smiley jaybee

Posted by: Nywyn ()
Date: January 09, 2008 10:12PM

It's so nice to meet a fellow Christian vegan! It seems that almost everyone else on veggie message boards are either atheist or follow eastern religions, so it's refreshing to meet another Christian.

I've been veggie since 1996 and finally went vegan a year ago. Since then I've moved up to an 80-90% raw diet and plan to reach 100% soon. Hopefully.

I understand about the nutrition degree. I'll soon be finished with a BS in Holistic Nutrition and have learned so much more than a traditional program would've taught me. The only downside is, it's an on-line degree which isn't fully recognized in my homestate, Texas, but thankfully I already have an MS in biology that I can use as justification.

That's so awesome that you're building your own cabin. I'm also fortunate enough to have a spot on my parents land which is way out in the country, but it's only an apartment. I still love it, though. It is a bit of a drive into work, though....roughly an hour and a half one way. At least at the end of the day, I can leave the city and head out into the hills.

Anyway, I'm going to go check out that rawchristian site that jaybee mentioned. That should be an interesting site, especially since my main christian message board, which I dearly love, isn't very veggie friendly. Most of them seem to think that being vegetarian is somehow unGodly or are directly confrontational to me. It doesn't matter, I love them all, even if we don't always agree. smiling smiley

Bye!

Posted by: cosbynian ()
Date: January 10, 2008 12:23AM

It's a pleasure to meet both you jaybee and Nywyn. Though small in number, remember the parable of Christ in which He says that the Kingdom of Heaven is as a grain of mustard seed, which is less than least of all seeds, but when it grows it fills the entire earth with its foilage of fruit--love, mercy, and peace.
There is a temptation to become discouraged and disparing, in regards to the number of people truly interesting if following Christ, but the counsel of scriptures is for us to remain stedfast, knowing that our labor in the Lord is not in vain. Paul says, "Let us not be weary in well-doing, for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."
So, let us not faint, and in the words of the psalmist, let us not give sleep to our eyes nor slumber to our eyelids until the kindgom of heaven has covered and filled the entire earth. Paul says, surely He that will come will come, and will not tarry. And again, "Look up for your redemption draweth nigh."
God bless both of you and all others who are part of Christ's "little flock." They may be little in the world's eyes, but they are tender and beloved in the sight of Christ.

Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: January 13, 2008 04:57PM

Hey Cosbynian,

I'm 28 also, and a Christian, about the same % of raw as you. I also agree with your principles of trying to stay out of debt - we are big Dave Ramsey Show fans in our house.... if you want, he's on talk radio and offers great encouragement for the debt-free lifestyle.

My family and I live in Spokane WA. I have also not met a lot of raw Christians - either and noticed many are more into the eastern religions. Whatever floats your boat! But lately I have been talking to a lot of women at church about being boarderline diabetic (like me) and striving to turn that ship around.

There is some great interest in a raw green smoothie class, and I might be teaching that. Anyways - good luck on your raw journey. And don't worry - we all backslide a little now and then with regards to bad foods. Any improvements as far as getting more raw fruits and veggies into your life will make a tremendous difference. Trust me! I am recovering from an emergency c-section and diabetes... it's working!!

Angie

Me (30), Joseph (24 mo.) Jeremiah (4 mo.)

We are enjoying spring and being outside!!!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 14, 2008 08:23PM

Hi cosbynian,

I read this thread with interest as I am a Christian recovering from a lengthy illness which, praise God, i've been healed from. However, it's left my body really out of shape and I'm very overweight due to medication and comfort eating.

I recently decided that I have to address the whole of my eating and am aiming for 50% raw to start with. However, as Nywyn has found with her Christian site, the forum I mainly visited doesn't seem that open to the idea of a raw lifestyle. But perhaps over time this will change as more people become aware of the advantages of eating raw.

Well, God bless, just wanted to say hi.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables