Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Help in buying weeds for my inside garden
Posted by: cy ()
Date: May 15, 2008 06:07PM

I would like to make a weed garden in my house just to eat in my salad.From now on I'll eat alfafa,mung beans,chick peas,and sunflower sprouts(any other sprout would you advise?) and edible weeds.
I'm having a hard time finding the weed seeds (purslane,lamb's quarter,plantain,burdock,stinging nettles,clover,miner's lettuce,sheep sorrel,cleaves)in any store.
Does anyone know where could I go?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help in buying weeds for my inside garden
Posted by: hyldemoer ()
Date: May 15, 2008 08:11PM

Date: May 15, 2008 09:46PM

WOW !!!!! Thanks soooooooooo much Hyldemoer !!!
I bought everything !!!! Wonderful !!! Amazing store,I really loved it.
Thank you very,very much.I am very much excited to start my weed gardening.

Posted by: hyldemoer ()
Date: May 15, 2008 10:38PM

You're welcome.

If you are growing the Burdock for the roots, be prepared for them to want to grow deeply.

One of my herb teachers has 100 acres of land, but she plants the Burdock above ground in bins that are designed for planting potatoes in.
Basically its a sheet of plastic that you fill with soil (in her case, the first year she composts in it and plants the Burdock seeds after the compost has turned into soil).

When its time to harvest the roots (usually the fall of the first year after the plant has gone dormant or in the spring before the plant has put all its stored energy into growing leaves) all you have to do is unbind the plastic and break away the dirt from the roots.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2008 10:39PM by hyldemoer.

Date: May 16, 2008 12:30AM

Thanks,I'll do that.It will be my first time planting weeds.I already have many dendelions in my salads and smoothies,and I want very much to have weeds now as my primary food.

Posted by: frances ()
Date: May 16, 2008 01:44AM

Good for you, cy. Let us know how it goes. Umm... are you planning to limit your fruit intake? Completely unhybridized fruits cannot be easy to come by. In my region (Central New York), it's pretty much just crab apples in the fall, and various wild berries in the summer. I know you said "primary food", not "exclusive food", but I couldn't help but wonder. Hmm... I wonder what other northern climate wild fruits I might not know about.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: May 27, 2008 03:36AM

Cy,
I just sent away for some very interesting plants from bountiful gardens.
[www.bountifulgardens.org]
They have a large variety of traditional crops, but also a large variety of stuff that I have never heard of. If its hot inside your home, maybe you can try growing malabar spinach. There is also strawberry spinach which produces a small fruit. [www.bountifulgardens.org]
They also have a number of very interesting herbs. Have fun!

Date: May 31, 2008 03:36PM

Thanks a lot Mislu, I just bought malabar spinach,evening primrose,and french sorrel greens.Great place !!! I'm sprouting a lot alfafa,sunflower,mung beans and chick peas and my desire is to eat practically sprouts and edible weeds.That will be cheap and powerful at the same time.

Frances,I still love fruit. That will be dificult to stop. Evry year when I go to Brazil I eat practically 90% fruits and 10% veggies.Here in US I can hold a little bit longer my fruit passion.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables