Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Mold on grains?
Posted by: veganman ()
Date: June 09, 2008 03:25AM

Hello! I am new here, but have read through all the posts. I am interested in sprouting grains in jars (not to the point of grass) - barley, wheat, kamut - and have the following questions -

1) I have tried the unhulled barley and it was difficult to eat with the hulls. I just bought some hulled barley. Will it sprout?
2) It soft or hard wheat better for sprouting?
3) I have read that grains can sometimes have mold on them. I read about peroxide, apple cider vinegar, and grapefruits seed extract being helpful. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Veganman

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mold on grains?
Posted by: Duo ()
Date: June 15, 2008 04:09AM

hey man- the hulls will come off when the buckwheat greens are ready, dont eat them! Same with Sunflower hulls, chickpea casts, etc

Generally people use soft white wheat for making the fermented drink called Rejuvelac, and the red winter "hard" wheatberries for wheatgrass.

Mold likes the same conditions as your wheatgrass does,when you find what works, let me know! I've had some success changing up the soil, adding liquid kelp to the soaking process, and taking the cover off at night to get some air flow, been meaning to read up on the grapefruit seed extract method.

---also just gave into the plastic mesh screw on lids for sprouting-- no more cheesecloth and rubber bands for me..

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables