Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Questions
Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: June 14, 2008 12:38AM

Is there a difference between the organic beans and seeds that I buy in the bulk bins at whole foods and the ones that I would buy from a sprout supplier? I mean other than the price. If so, does anyone have suggestions regarding a reputable supplier? I love sunflower sprouts, does anyone sprout these?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions
Posted by: frances ()
Date: July 16, 2008 09:02PM

The cheaper ones in the bin may be fine, but they are not sold for sprouting and the same care has not been taken to make sure that they are viable. Buy a small amount and try to sprout them. If you are satisfied with the result then you may have found a cheaper supply of seed, but be warned that they might not sprout at all. Sprout suppliers will make sure that the seeds they sell are fresh enough to remain viable, and that nothing has happened to them to prevent them from sprouting (like being left in boiling heat somewhere). They should be testing their seed supplies regularly to make sure that whatever they sell should deliver the highest rate of germination.

Sprout suppliers also often select varieties and strains of seed based on the flavor of the sprouts. This is a service that you will not get from vendors who don't expect you to sprout their product.

Personally, I take a mixed approach, buying seeds from sprouting suppliers when those seeds are not generally sold at my local grocery, or when I have reason to expect better results from their supply.

Re: Questions
Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: July 26, 2008 09:14PM

I sprout the seeds from Whole Foods and health food stores bulk bins just fine. Millet, Quinoa, Wheat berries,sesame seeds, beans and flax seeds..

The rest of the stuff..make sure it's "RAW" and has the hulls. Barley and oats have to be "raw".

Never tried sunflowers..been meaning to do those though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables