Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

how to sprout
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 25, 2008 05:25PM

i'm to the raw food lifestyle and just wanted to know the purpose of sprouting ie, how to use the sprouts. So far i've been eating mostly fruits and vege's with some nuts on the side

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how to sprout
Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: June 29, 2008 07:12PM

hey flygirl, i just googled this info recently. it will help explain the benefits of sprouting. it's not a must in the raw vegan diet, but i find personally they add punch and flavor to my dishes, eating them solo or combining them with salads, etc. they are nutrient dense living foods. :-) hope this helps and take care.

[www.ezhealthydiet.com]

another cool link - one of the best for purchasing seeds and obtaining info:

[www.sproutpeople.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2008 07:14PM by rawangel.

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: August 07, 2008 08:51AM

Here is a link that I found useful: [www.energygrid.com]

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: September 01, 2008 08:08PM

It's just another powerful way...nutritionally...to take more responsibility, control and consciousness over one's diet. Sprouts are very powerful nutrition!

-Shelled sunflower seeds are very easy to do.....as are mung beans (they turn into Chinese bean sprouts!). Alfalfa sprouts are also good. Lentils can be a good thing to try.

-The process is very easy. Simply soak your large seeds or beans overnight (and your small ones for 4-6 hours. Then strain/rinse thoroughly in cool water. Drain excess water. Just place in a bowl covered by a dishtowel and keep in a cool area (room temperature) out of the sun. Just repeat the process of rinse, strain & drain 3 times per day....until the sprouts reach the maturity/taste you like.

-A great site is:

[www.sproutpeople.com]

-Hope this is helpful.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 11, 2008 04:45PM

I have found that mung beans,peas,and lentils all sprout at the same rate.
So I just combine them all together now in one jar.I used to use separate jar for each one.
Brian

Posted by: rgh69 ()
Date: October 02, 2008 12:28PM

My wife has sprouted Mung beans before then cooked them :>( . Can you sprout any grain or nut, then eat the sprout raw? What about rice? We have a lot of Brown rice.

Posted by: frances ()
Date: October 14, 2008 05:18PM

I have experimented with sprouting rice, and while I did get some of it to germinate it was extremely prone to mold. I decided that it was not worth it. I did have more luck with the grain quinoa. I know some raw foodies soak rice to soften it enough for eating, but I haven't tried that myself.

There are some sprouts which are known to be unsafe when raw, most notably kidney beans. As a result, I tend to avoid sprouting any beans that are shaped like kidney beans, just in case.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables