Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Buckwheat greens are they toxic?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 18, 2006 11:23AM

I am growing sunflower and buckweat greens in soil indoor but read that buckwheat greens were toxic? Are there any other greens one can grow indoor, I love using soil to grow greens indoor, they are more nutritious with no chemicals.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buckwheat greens are they toxic?
Posted by: alive! ()
Date: July 14, 2006 04:24AM

I've also heard (read - but I don't know where) that buckwheat greens are toxic at a certain level. Doesn't mean that you can't have them at all. I still grow a flat of them now and then.

I also grow pea shoots and arugula micro greens. Check them all out at Sproutpeople.com They give all the directions for growing greens.

Life Is Good!

alive!

Posted by: summer ()
Date: August 09, 2006 06:59PM

to much buckwheat greens aren't good, a couple friends of mine ate them every day for awhile, had some weird reactions...cut back to once in a while, and no problems...

what one can do, all can do...

Jade

Posted by: thehulaqueen ()
Date: October 31, 2006 03:40AM

You can read more here:
[www.sproutman.com]

The answer is yes... but only if you eat heaps. Most things in very large quantities are not healthy... especially eating too much of any one green again and again.

Date: June 03, 2009 06:34PM

I was eating up to a pound of buckwheat greens every day in my smoothies and started to develop symptoms within a couple of weeks. The symptom that finally enabled me to self-diagnose my fagopyrism was that my skin would turn red and itchy where it was in direct sunlight EVEN THROUGH A WINDOW!!!

Here's a link to the most helpful article I've found on the subject: [www.gillesarbour.com]

I plan to continue growing sunflower greens, and I've bought some seeds to try growing Wrinkled Crinkled Cress from Johnny's. According to their web site -- [www.johnnyseeds.com] -- this type of cress is often grown in flats (like wheatgrass) -- click on "Growing Information" down below the price list.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables