Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sprouter Question!!
Posted by: naturalgirl ()
Date: September 26, 2006 05:35AM

I know this has been asked before but what is the best type of sprouter to buy? I am consitering the Easy Green but it seems a bit pricey. I have never sprouted before so I would need something that is not complicated. Thanks for any imput!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sprouter Question!!
Posted by: GoneGreen ()
Date: October 01, 2006 09:34AM

Hi
After a long time trying differnt ways this is what i found works great.
I bought thouse screw on jar lids, trays etc.

chick peas swell fast when soaking over night use a round bottom bowl.
If you put them in a jar they will swell up so much you will have to dig them out with a knife.
flax seeds etc i use a jar. I clean any damaged seeds out then put them in container. i put about 1 teaspoon of hydrogen perozide in a glass of water and pour than over the seeds then add water too cover well.

i am not suggesting you or anyone else on this earth use hydrogen perozide.
This is just what i do. This method works great with out it just that i had trouble with the peas. Rinsing more often would likly have cured the problem.

in the morning i use one of thouse stanless steel baskets you use too steam vegtables with, about 5 dollars 7 dollars or so . Google "Vegetable Steamer Baskets" get the 9 inch one.

i dump the seeds in there and rinse well.
Then i get a full plastic ice cream pail eat the ice cream, wash the pail and place the steamer basket in there. it will help the seeds keep moist in the pail.
leave the lid not tight on the bucket a bit open as the seeds will make some heat especially the chick peas. Also at times i put a inch of cold water in the bottom of the bucket if it is very warm in house.

Rinsing the seeds is real easy this way.

I use the hydrogen peroxide as chick peas i found are very hard to keep from spoiling as they grow. After trying many ways this works great. I have read that the peroxide helps make more seeds sprout. I have also read that it is very very bad to drink please look into it for your self. Please keep away from childern
if you use it they may see you with it and assume it is something safe.

one outher tip
the steamer basket will over time have the seperate leaves become floppy so that the basket wants too fall open. Just with your fingers give them a twist too bend them. That will tighten up the basket again. Also with one of mine the centre post of the basket broke. I just bought a cromed bolt at the hardware store too repalce it.

It's 3 am and i am tired hope this all makes sence.

Let us know if you try this and if it works for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2006 09:46AM by GoneGreen.

Date: October 24, 2006 05:57AM

Well thanks for replying as I didn't think anyone would! I am sorry but the method isn't making much sense to me. I am tired, need to go to bed as well! You can buy food grade hydrogen peroxide at familyhealthnews.com

I can't use an icecream bucket as I don't eat it. Well I better go to bed! Anyone have any ideas???

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: October 24, 2006 06:57AM

Buy an icecream maker, buy reusable icecream buckets, make raw icecream (nuts, coconut flesh, a little coconut milk, agrave, a few inches of vanilla beans, what ever else you want), eat icecream, use icecream buckets to sprout seeds.

Ian.

Posted by: admin ()
Date: November 07, 2006 02:09AM

save your money. its best to grow sprouts the old fashioned way... with jars, baskets or bags.

unless of course.. you absolutely do not have the time.

Date: November 14, 2006 11:48AM

Thanks adm. for your reply. So would you suggest something like the easy sprouter or one of the fancy automatic types?

Thanks!!

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: November 15, 2006 08:13AM

Admin could you please give specific instructions as to how you do it? I want to take up sprouting too.
Thank you!

Date: November 17, 2006 07:48AM

I would suggest buying a book on sprouting. Its easy once you learn how. It would take so long to explain it all.

The sproutman has a good book, such as:

[www.amazon.com]

Date: November 17, 2006 07:49AM

From my experience, the best automatic sprouter is the easy green sprouter.

That being said. I do reccomend growing them manually - with a sprout bag or using a sprout jar with stainless steel lid.

Posted by: ReneeK ()
Date: December 07, 2006 06:37AM

Buy some ice cream, mail it to me, I'll eat it for you and send you the clean bucket free of charge :-P

Posted by: trinity082482 ()
Date: December 08, 2006 04:20AM

I duno either. I soak them over night in a bowl and they dont seem any bigger or softer to me. I might just give up on chick peas *chuckles*

Posted by: taylor ()
Date: January 08, 2007 12:46AM

I JUST STARTED AT THIS RAW FOODS THING. I GOT WHEAT BERRIES AND PUT A DISH TOWEL IN A COLANDER(AFTER SOAKING THE WHEAT IN A BOWL OVER NITE)WITH THE WHEAT IN THE DISH CLOTH.I POUR COLD WATER OVER THE WHEAT 2 TIMES A DAY-WITH TOWEL STILL IN THE COLANDER AND LET IT DRAIN OFF.I HAVE SPORUTS ALL COMING OUT OF MY WHEAT. I STARTED THEM YESTERDAY AND THEY ARE LIKE 1/16TH OF AN INCH LONG.I PLAN TO GRIND THEM IN MY CHAMPION JUICER AND MAKE A PASTE AND FORM A LOAF AND PUT IN FOOD DRYER TO FINISH...AFTER I LET THE WHEAT SIT AND DRY FOR 3 HOURS.I HAVE LENTIL SPROUTS AND I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH THOSE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables