Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Left-Over Sprout Seeds after Sprouting
Posted by: eemiller ()
Date: April 21, 2008 10:28PM

I just finished my first batch of sprouts... It was a 5-part salad mix. It said to use 2 Tbsp, and I used the EasySprout container. I had a lot of seed left-over is this normal? Should I just use less next time or did I do something wrong?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Left-Over Sprout Seeds after Sprouting
Posted by: frances ()
Date: April 22, 2008 12:59AM

A lot of those look like they are sprouting, but might be behind the curve. Others might just be seed hulls, I can't really tell from the photo what the situation is. Some of the seeds may also have failed to germinate if the seed was too old, damaged, or if something went wrong at the beginning of the sprouting process. This is probably a dumb question, but when you sprouted them they were in the cup with the holes, not the one pictured, right?

Posted by: eemiller ()
Date: April 22, 2008 01:31PM

Yes... They were in the cup with holes. I just dumped the container into this bowl to help get out the "hulls"? and I saw this bunch of seeds inside that nothing had happened with. I did notice that the instruction for the seeds was 2 tbs for a quart size jar, and the sprouter is for 1 liter. But, according to a conversion chart online, that's about the same. Some of them look sprouted cause they are, they were just mixed in with the other and I hadn't yet pulled them out.

Maybe I just put too many into the container. Next time I'll try 1 Tbs and when I rinse them I'll move them around more so as to have the opportunity not to be squished... if that makes a difference.

Posted by: frances ()
Date: April 22, 2008 01:50PM

I only put one tablespoon of leafy green seed in the EasyGreen, but I'm not sure it couldn't handle more. The finished sprouts always seem to fill the cup so well that I haven't given thought to adding more.

On the other hand, if some of the seed didn't even germinate, this is probably not the result of overcrowding. The seeds aren't overcrowded until well after they should have germinated. I still suspect the quality/condition of your seed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables