Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

after harvesting wheatgrass
Posted by: liponeer ()
Date: October 30, 2008 02:37PM

This is my first time growing wheat grass, and it's almost ready to be harvested. But, after I've harvested the grass, should I just allow the grass to grow again, or do I need to recycle the soil? I imagine I will have to replace the soil at some point.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: after harvesting wheatgrass
Posted by: brad ()
Date: November 01, 2008 11:04PM

I was told the first grow ids the most nutrient filled.....ive noticed diminished growing after cutting and re-growing the 2nd time. I going to add nutrients(organic) next and see how long I can run the grow.

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: November 03, 2008 02:17PM

I haven't grown wheat grass in a while (maybe I should start), but I would use the first cutting for myself and give the rest to the cats -- they LOVE it!

Posted by: liponeer ()
Date: November 26, 2008 02:39AM

So, my first attempt at using the second growth was that it tasted less sweet and had the bad kind of mold growing near the earth (brown mold). It seemed less healthy, which only makes sense. So, I'm now tearing the second growth up and putting it in my compost stuff, covered.

I did some experiments:

1. Use one cup of seeds per 11"x22" tray.
2. Put seeds on the dirt and cover with a thin layer of dirt, instead of soaking and covering.
3. Cover soaked and sprouted seeds with a thin layer of dirt.

I think I will go with 1 cup instead of 2 cups from now on. The unsoaked seeds grew faster than the soaked and sprouted seeds. I did both at the same time. In other words, I put the unsoaked seeks in the dirt at the same time that I soaked the other seeds, then sprouted the the soaked seeds for 2 days and then put them in the dirt. The unsoaked seeds grew first.

However, both of these got lots of white mold. I'm not sure if it is because of the process or if it's a change in the weather or something else.

Also, I forgot about some seeds and left them soaking for 3 days... It still took 2 days in a colander before they sprouted as much as when I soak for 1 day. Odd.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables