Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Wheatgrass trays
Posted by: SurfinBird ()
Date: November 01, 2008 03:29AM

Is it better to have wheatgrass trays with holes in the bottom or no? I've not really done much with plants in my life, so I don't know whether it is better to have the water to drain out the bottom or not. I don't have any windows in my kitchen, so I have to grow the grass on a table in my livingroom. Therefore I would prefer to use trays without holes in the bottom so that water isn't leaking out onto the table/carpet.

Insights?
Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2008 03:30AM by SurfinBird.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wheatgrass trays
Posted by: liponeer ()
Date: November 01, 2008 04:03PM

The book I have, by sproutman, (wheatgrass, nature's finest medicine), suggests using trays without holes, but I don't know why. I gradually increased the amount of water I was watering the grass with and never ended up getting the soil too wet (judging by putting my finger allow the edge of the soil.

When I bought trays, the person at the nursery suggested that I get them in pairs, one with holes and one without, so one could go inside the other, which could mean that the water would flow out of the holes into the tray below. But I ended up using the one with holes to put on top of the other since my books says to grow the grass in the dark until it reaches 2 inches in height.

Posted by: brad ()
Date: November 01, 2008 11:02PM

I use both....and no difference. The root system this grass has is unreal!!
I use led grow lights and put the grass on 18/6 lighting.
I have full trays in 4 days.
I water every two days.....but foliar feed them before bed...lol
anyone tried the coconut coir?

Posted by: SurfinBird ()
Date: November 06, 2008 01:52AM

Alright, thanks for the tips my friends.

I do have the Wheatgrass book by Steve Mayerowitz as well, but I thought I'd still ask to see what some of you thought about the topic. I haven't really grown a lot of plants in my life in general, so I wasn't sure if the trays would get soggy without drainage. It sounds like not, so I'll just stick with the solid trays for now.

Thanks again smiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 30, 2009 12:01AM

does any one think that tray depth is relevant to mold growth???? which leads me to this ... have been growing hydro grass and have mold and a foul smell which i believe i over watered and maybe over seeded as well grass is falling apart too and i am using sea water for nourishment tray depth is deep with out holes (no drainage) lots of fuzz around the base of the grass (yuk) is it healty to juice as long as i cut above the mold??? help

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 30, 2009 03:07PM

i think it does rinpoche .. when ive grown wheatgrass in deep trays i find the sprouts dont get as much airflow and go moldy compared to shallow trays with airflow around them smiling smiley

i wouldnt use it .. the mold you see is a small part of the micro-organism you cant see smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: HealthNVitality ()
Date: May 12, 2009 06:05PM

This time of the year (May), it is great to harvest wheatgrass growing outdoors in the fields.
We broadcast wheat berries into a field in the late autumn.
Now, with the wheatgrass at 7-10 inches, we are harvesting the top few inches.

For juicing, I love the ppwer of the Blendtec ICB7 blender, the mixture then strained through a nut milk bag.

For the rest of the year, trays work well.
A good source of info for how to grow wheatgrass in trays is Ann Wigmore.

We have a lot of info about the nutritional importance of wheatgrass juice on our site.

If you post a reply to this message and would like my feedback, it would be best to send me a private message to that effect. Otherwise, I may not check this thread for a while.

***Info from the advisors at HealthNVitality***

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables