Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Led grow lights and wheatgrass
Posted by: brad ()
Date: November 01, 2008 10:59PM

Im an avid indoor grower. I have recently been growing wheatgrass under my leds and the results have been staggering.
I use all organic soil and germ in the soil.
I use a 90 watt led grow light.
This is my third grow with wheatgrass but from the moment of initial sprouts....
I have a full useable tray in under 4 days
Is this really fast?
What does everyone use for their winter wheatgrass growing?
Does anyone have a favorite medium they use fro their grass?
smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Led grow lights and wheatgrass
Posted by: liponeer ()
Date: November 02, 2008 02:02AM

That's interesting. This is my first time. I sprouted the wheat for 2 days, then put the sprouts on top of soil (organic potting soil) in the tray and kept it covered, because the book I have says to grow the wheat in the dark until it's 2 inches tall... I'm not sure why. So, all together it took about 9 days to get 6 inch tall grass. I used a "neon" grow light during the day after it was 2 inches tall.

It sounds like maybe I should expose the sprouts to light sooner.

At this early stage, it seems like someone probably needs about 4 22"x11" trays to produce enough wheat grass for daily consumption. I was surprised that I failed to find an estimate on how much wheat grass to grow.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: November 02, 2008 05:58AM

im sorta curious about the costs of the lights? i tried finding some info on them but the information seems kinda fledgling .. can you tell me more? smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: November 02, 2008 01:14PM

brad Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Im an avid indoor grower. I have recently been
> growing wheatgrass under my leds and the results
> have been staggering.
> I use all organic soil and germ in the soil.
I'd be interested in where you get your soil.
I use Lambert's Potting Mix that I get at the local Home
Depot. It doesn't claim to be Organic, but is still pretty
expensive.
P.S. When I'm not lazy, I give my Wheatgrass a little natural
light from the Sun. Grow Lights just don't 'feel' right to me.
Here's a picture of my wheatgrass, also some Tomatoes I grew
for fun.....WY

[img.photobucket.com]

Date: November 03, 2008 02:31AM

The lights are a little pricey but they run on very little wattage and the growth...phew!! www.sunshine-systems.com I love the company and the owner is a great guy. Before I bought my lights I called to ask a bunch of specific questions and he was more than happy to help. Update....my lettuce is growing already. sheesh...lol!!!

Date: December 11, 2008 01:54PM

Update on my lettuce....its huge! Haha! My Iris are almost 13 inches tall (in veg...no flowers yet) My pepper plant became a meal for my dog.....but I found one spindly branch....put it in rooting powder....and my plant still lives. Im actually getting these great tiny flowers on my newly re-rooted pepper.

Led grow lights for christmas......the gift that keeps on giving!!!
www.igrowwithleds.com
smiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 21, 2011 03:59PM

LED Grow Lights(include UFO Grow light, Panel grow light, Plant grow tube) from 7w up to 1200w of power that are perfect for growing lights.

[www.ledlightsliving.com]

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: February 22, 2011 09:44AM

LED's are pretty good for growing stuff like wheat grass, but one has to be very careful about what they buy, most on the market is crap, even some more expensive stuff, but if one gets the right ones, they will literally pay for themselves in their first year of use JUST in their energy savings, and if its good quality they should last around 10 years if you used them 24hrs a day... (although you dont want to use more than 16 hours a day most likely, plants need a bit of rest,lol.)

I will go look for some good ones soon if anybody is interested and post them here, oh, and unlike some others here, I wont be the one selling them,haha.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: February 22, 2011 10:31AM

here ya go, a good article, with a link to a reputable company that sells some of the best lights on the market (I researched them online, emailed a buddy that im pretty sure bought lights from these guys and am waiting for his reply, but I know he loved his lights, said they got the best results he has ever had, I just dont remember 100% if this was the company he bought from, but im pretty sure...)

[www.myhydroponicgardening.com]
Id suggest taking advantage of the persons free offer for a consultation and see what they have to say, checking out the comments, the guy seems really legit, and further internet research shows this site is really well respected within the growing community...

[www.prosourceworldwide.com]

that seems like the best light for some one that is just growing things that they don't intend to flower,like wheat grass, but I could be wrong... (assuming you cant just use sunlight...although LED's do increase vegetative growth over sunlight, I understand if some have issues with it being unnatural...)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables