Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

My sprouts mold all the time
Posted by: new2green ()
Date: December 09, 2008 08:01PM

What am I doing wrong? I have a sprouter (3 round stackable plastic containers with a lid where the water runs through, so it doesn't stay on the seed all the time) and no matter what I try to sprout molds. I thought I had old seeds, but I just bouth sprouting seeds from a very reliable source and those are molding too!!!
Help me, please

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My sprouts mold all the time
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 13, 2008 05:33PM

i am wondering how your water is? is it well or city water and is it filtered? also you can mix in some food grade 3% hydrogen peroxide and that should keep all mold from growing. do this every time you rewater. the peroxide has alot of oxygen in it so it keeps molds and things of that nature from manifesting. hope this helps!!!

peace and love

Posted by: brad ()
Date: December 14, 2008 04:33PM

If your using tap water, general rule of them is to let it sit for 24 hours to help remove impurities.
Its probably the seeds also. I just read on Hippocrates Health that the seeds are usually the issue.
There is also a product made from grapefuit oils that you can add to help with mold.
Also....use a fan on your grow area.
smiling smiley

Posted by: frances ()
Date: December 14, 2008 06:57PM

A lot of the sprouting devices suffer from two weaknesses: they often recycle the same water over your sprouts too many times until you're washing the sprouts with dirty water, and they often do not provide for sufficient air flow.

As others suggested, I would consider the quality of the water you're adding to the system. If that isn't the source of concern, consider what the weakness of your device could be. Additives to the water might be able to control mold growth, or changing the water more often (if possible) might be a better and simpler solution. Good air flow helps a lot to reduce molding, but it sounds like the device you're using may be closed and not allow for a great deal of air flow. If that's the case, providing good air to your growing sprouts may be more difficult... I would suggest at least opening the lid a few times a day to let the air exchange, and considering moving to a device that allows your sprouts better breathing.

Only once in my life have I seen an online shop offer an item for sale while begging customers not to buy. It is the Bio-Set 3-tier enclosed sprouter:

A low rinse European sprouter with 3 growing trays, a drip tray/base and a top, reservoir tray. Less air-circulation and drainage than other sprouters, but quite popular despite our unfavorable review. Fine for big seeds and attractive. Please Don't buy this.

Posted by: new2green ()
Date: December 31, 2008 07:57PM

I use filtered water from the fridge. I water 1 time a day and the seeds are special organic sprouting seeds. I have used all kinds of seeds.
The sprouter is a round ridged device. the water goes from the top to the bottom and is not recycled.There are ridges to make sure the water goes around and out.
I really don't know what the problem is.

Posted by: liponeer ()
Date: January 13, 2009 03:07AM

I saw a person on youtube demonstrating how to grow wheatgrass. She claims that adding azomite powder to soil helps prevent mold. I will try it and see what happens.

[www.youtube.com]

My sprouting got moldy during the coldest part of the winter for some reason. So, maybe climate has something to do with it?

Posted by: windy ()
Date: February 27, 2009 12:59PM

What..??

There are 3 main reasons for mold in your sprouts.
1.) not enough rinsing with water
2.) sprouts dont "dry" enough between rinses
3.) Heated seeds, which are pre-killed, ie. they mold and wont sprout

1.How often do you rinse them with water? I usually do 2 rinsing with lots of water. once in the morning and once in the evening. Just use plenty of water, as it will keep the sprouts clean. Oh. And I use only normal tap-water for rinsing.

2. After rinsing make sure no water is left on the jar. And any remaining water can freely drip away. If you have a multilevel sprouter with a "water collector" on its base, then the water in the "collector" may keep your sprouts too wet.

PS. I use a big glass jar with a net on its opening. Simple and works very well. To rinse I fill the jar with water, shake a bit, pour the water out, and repeat this again, (and sometimes a third time) and then leave the jar to "dry" upside down.
And I have never had problems with mold.

Posted by: windy ()
Date: February 27, 2009 01:17PM

"What am I doing wrong? I have a sprouter (3 round stackable plastic containers with a lid where the water runs through, so it doesn't stay on the seed all the time) and no matter what I try to sprout molds. I thought"

Forgot to mention that my friend bought one of these. And the simple glass-jar works better. The stacked sprouters have several problems.
1. the rinsing water goes from the first layer to the second and then to the third. So the last layer is rinsed with used and dirty water
2. Air circulation is poor. After the topmost layer has started sprouting and the holes in the bottom of the top layer are (mostly) blocked, the middle and bottom layer will be permanently (too) damp, And to add insult to injury the bottomlayer (the water collector) will keep the whole thing damp.. expecially if the temperature is high enough.
3. the sprouts are constantly too damp

Ps the glass jar solution works well.. expesially if you leave the jar upside down in a 30.45 degree angle between rinses. Theis enables the air to circulate properly.

Posted by: HealthNVitality ()
Date: March 02, 2009 05:55PM

Great info, windy. Thanks.

I recommend sproutpeople as a source for seeds which sprout well, and also as a source for info.

If you post a reply to this message and would like my feedback, it would be best to send me a private message to that effect. Otherwise, I may not check this thread for a while.

***Info from the advisors at HealthNVitality***

Date: March 07, 2009 06:03PM

Hi New2green

I use different tools for sprouting from Easy Green to cabarets but one that I find works really well too is the Sproutbag made of hamp (Sproutman)
Its so easy to grow anything in it. And IT DOES NOT MOLD because of the hamp bag. Just make sure you clean it really well after each use.

Also you might want to spray a bit of your seed with peroxide 3%. Just once at the begining.
Good luck with your sprouting!

Date: May 03, 2009 02:13AM

how much food grade peroxide is reccommended? i have 35%...have forgotten formula for breaking down...# drops per oz water? thank you...

Posted by: HealthNVitality ()
Date: June 14, 2009 04:12PM

I suggest experimenting with amounts of peroxide.

If you post a reply to this message and would like my feedback, it would be best to send me a private message to that effect. Otherwise, I may not check this thread for a while.

***Info from the advisors at HealthNVitality***

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables