Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

eating legumes' sprouts
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 21, 2010 12:58PM

Hello everyone.
I have just joined the forum. I've got some experience with healthy food already and with each day my knowledge grows even bigger, but I still didn't manage to entirely transform my diet to raw one ( 20% of my daily diet are cooked beans with
cooked rice/buckwheat ). I am doing this now, but I got a couple of questions, so I can do it properly. Some of them may seem dumb or needless, but since I didn't find any direct answers, I have to ask them to be sure.

When sprouting process ends, do you eat only sprouts of the ( for instance ) mung beans or do you eat everything ( both the sprouts of the mung beans and the beans )? And if the latter, then is the amount of proteins preserved ( around 20g proteins per 100g )?
Now I know this is probably obvious for most of you, but in my country there is a big lack of knowledge about raw diet and the prepared sprouts are always being sold separately. This is important for me since I go to the gym.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: eating legumes' sprouts
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: November 21, 2010 09:46PM

Welcome! I only tried sprouting mung beans once and didn't have any luck with them but I eat them occasionally and I would assume that they are like other legumes: when they sprout, the beans are transformed and become part of the sprout. So the head shrinks a lot. Mung beans are rather small anyway and I know that when I have sprouted French lentils and turtle beans, the head part was not really that big and totally edible. With seeds like alfalfas, you have to rinse off the husks, though (well, you don't HAVE to, but it has a less gritty texture).

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables