Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Creating a Microgarden This Winter
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 12, 2011 09:34PM

I just read about this and basically they mean sprouting stuff and growing herbs. My kitchen doesn't get much sun but that doesn't affect sprouts, of course. I am wondering about herbs. I have never been able to grow them effectively. Any tips would be much appreciated!smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Creating a Microgarden This Winter
Posted by: Trive ()
Date: January 13, 2011 03:49AM

Many herbs don't require much care. In fact they often prefer plain soil without fertilizer. For example, I have found oregano, rosemary and sage to be hardy and not need much attention at all. Yay!

However, some do take care. Basil and parsley need more water and will wither and die in too much sun without enough water. Basil likes part shade. (I have had the worst luck with basil.) Mint likes mostly shade and LOTS of water. In the right spot, mint will grow like CRAZY!

Although you can plant herbs in pots, clay pots and small pots tend to dry out fast and I find plain ole dirt in the ground to be best.

I also have more luck growing from small plants at a nursery than from seeds or cuttings, since I don't have a green thumb.

Good luck!

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 13, 2011 04:20AM

Thanks, Trive! In my Midwestern climate at the moment (with a bunch of snow on the ground as I speak), I need to do this indoors. That is great to hear about the mint not needing too much sun. I have tried multiple little potted herbs and none have survived over the years. I really don't know what I need to do to change this situation. I guess the first thing is to really make sure I understand what the plant needs. I usually would water from a regular cup but perhaps that is too much water falling at once and I should get a watering can? I need Horticulture 101!

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: January 14, 2011 06:04AM

Although mint likes damp ground, most other herbs like well-drained soil. It doesn't so much matter if you give a lot of water at once, but that the soil allows the water to drain.

Good luck with it.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: merry ()
Date: January 14, 2011 12:55PM

I wonder if you could try growing trays of amaranth in potting soil? dont know how it would work but my experience is that it is pretty unfussy about where its growing, how much light etc. as long as your indoor temperature isnt too cold.
I grow it in trays and cuts leaves for salads when the plants are small size (bigger than microgreen idea).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables