Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Anyone familiar with growing heirlooms?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 25, 2011 03:11PM

Since I have virtually no experience with growing things, I am concerned that heirlooms will be harder to grow. I read that somewhere, at least. So I just need to know from people who have actually grown them if that is true and if not, what are good varieties to grow. Or even for "regular" types of veggies, I would like to get tips on high-yielding, easy-to-grow varieties that are not too hybridized. Thankssmiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone familiar with growing heirlooms?
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 25, 2011 04:18PM

no not harder to grow at all .. in some respects they are quite a bit more hardy as they havent been (in some cases) had certain traits bred out of them to produce other more reliable traits at the expense of others

just keep on top keeping the soil rich (fertilizing) , well mulched (weeding and to prevent competitive weeds) , learn about companion planting (symbiosis), polinating and pruning (to produce maximum yield)

smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: March 25, 2011 06:34PM

Thanks for the encouragement. I don't know what exactly was the caveat--something related to ease of growing but it may have been the risk of insect infestation.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 25, 2011 06:45PM

companion planting really helps with that .. also attracting beneficial insects and birds smiling smiley

i havent ever noticed a difference between a heirloom lettuce say getting got by slugs or bugs any more or less than a convential lettuce ... if the bugs an slugs are there .. they're there grinning smiley companion planting and pest deteral helps with that for sure smiling smiley

my roses (i have about 20 bushes scattered around all got horrible aphids and a weird leaf blight for a couple of years ... i planted garlic chives and leeks all around them and now they thrive smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: PatchMomma ()
Date: July 07, 2011 02:18PM

The varieties you want to try really depend on where you're located. Some varieties handle the cold better, some the heat, it really depends.

Take a good look at your seed catalog and they'll usually have notes about the strengths of that particular variety. It'll usually tell you if that variety is high yielding, slow to bolt, etc.

Date: July 11, 2011 11:09PM

PatchMomma Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The varieties you want to try really depend on
> where you're located. Some varieties handle the
> cold better, some the heat, it really depends.
>
> Take a good look at your seed catalog and they'll
> usually have notes about the strengths of that
> particular variety. It'll usually tell you if
> that variety is high yielding, slow to bolt, etc.

I had SO much fun with my catalog in the spring! I loved looking at all the "weird" heirlooms and fantasizing buying certain ones. At the end of the day, I didn't get my garden plot until late spring so I had to scramble and buy at local stores. The heirloom seeds I know for sure are the lemon cucumbers. I planted them from seed and you should see how they have grown. Interesting: I also planted a regular variety of pickles and they are only about a third of the growth of the organic heirloom cukes!

Posted by: janeisgreen ()
Date: August 08, 2011 12:07PM

I'm growing heirloom tomatoes, mostly in my sister's garden because my property is surrounded by Black walnut trees (they exude 'juglone' which is poison to a lot of plants). I put a few in my own garden this year. They've gone through a lot of stress but are now fruiting & have new growth. My favourite heirloom tomatoes so far are 'Cherokee Purple' and 'Black Giant'. Both have amazing flavour!

Date: August 08, 2011 08:32PM

janeisgreen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm growing heirloom tomatoes, mostly in my
> sister's garden because my property is surrounded
> by Black walnut trees (they exude 'juglone' which
> is poison to a lot of plants). I put a few in my
> own garden this year. They've gone through a lot
> of stress but are now fruiting & have new growth.
> My favourite heirloom tomatoes so far are
> 'Cherokee Purple' and 'Black Giant'. Both have
> amazing flavour!

I take it by your spelling that you are from Canada (or England possibly)? When did you plant? I have a few tomato plants (none heirloom) that have been fruiting very slowly but I planted late. My heirloom cukes have not made their appearance yet but my regular pickles did! I have never done this before so perhaps there are differences in maturity rates? Any feedback would be mucho helpful!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables