Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Top Ten Plants for Brown Thumbs?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: February 15, 2011 12:24AM

I wanna get some houseplants and need some imput for those of us who cannot seem to grow plants--which are practically foolproof, don't need too much light and water, etc.? And the biggest mistakes that we brown thumbs make in "caring" for our plants...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Top Ten Plants for Brown Thumbs?
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: February 15, 2011 01:08AM

various herbs are easy, any thyme, MINTS are super easy to grow, and hard to kill, there are more, but I am to tired at the moment, I will come back with more plant suggestions later, Common problem for most people with brown thumbs is over or under watering, googling the watering preference for a plant can be helpful, but as a general rule most plants prefer lightly moist soil, most do not like to be soaked, or to get really dry... some plants also need a daily misting as household air is normally quite dry... I will get you a good list of easy plants soon though!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: February 15, 2011 01:14AM

[www.plant-care.com]

[gardening.about.com]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: February 15, 2011 02:43AM

Um...I bought some mint last summer. It was an organic plant, very healthy. Dead in a week. I just don't get it...

Date: February 15, 2011 02:47AM

O.O that...is one of the most surprising plant related things i have ever heard...uhhh...wow...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: February 15, 2011 05:15AM

spider plants hands down have got to be about the easiest ive ever had .. and ive killed them accidently right back to the dirt so many times and they just bounce right back .. they are truly a very forgiving plant smiling smiley plus its neat how they send out their babies for you to plants some more of them !! smiling smiley

i also really dig creeping vines ... like these ones , they come in so many colors and combos they are really fun and grow really well and bounce back after a good hard killing smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: February 15, 2011 09:37PM

Thanks Jodi! Exactly what I needed to hear--I love the pics too! I am not plant-savvy in terms of knowing names/types but I know it must be vines that grow so abundantly. The fact that they come in various colors is awesome! @Curator: LOL! You sound stunned that someone could actually have MINT die on themwinking smiley

Date: February 15, 2011 09:43PM

I am a bit, I had a hard time killing it at all when it got into my yard! lol... oh the links I posted had both the plants she mentioned and other varieties as well,lol... so there are some more options too, although I love spider plantsgrinning smiley

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: February 15, 2011 10:30PM

I'm sorry, Curator...Missed those links somehow. I must have skipped it. Thanks--it's awesome!smiling smiley

Date: February 15, 2011 10:42PM

haha, its ok, ywsmiling smiley

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: February 16, 2011 01:50AM

When I worked in an office, I had a spathophilia (I don't know how to spell it, but some call it a peace lily). It was great because it did well indoors in low light. When I'd forget to water it - which was often - it would go from erect to horizontal as if to say, "Help! I'm dying here!" Then I'd water it and voila, it would perk right back up and say, "Thank you, I'm happy again."

My favorite raw vegan

Date: February 16, 2011 05:56AM

hehehe, yup, those are cool

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: February 16, 2011 05:08PM

I think I will print out your lists and go to a greenhouse near my residencesmiling smiley Some of these plants are hard to spell and pronounce, so just having it all printed out is bettersmiling smiley

Date: February 17, 2011 02:42AM

googling the names for some pics could help too!!!

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: PatchMomma ()
Date: February 18, 2011 12:42AM

I second Jodi's advice with the spider plants and pothos!

Also, sanseveria or Mother-in-law's tongue are incredibly hardy and I've kept them in rooms that receive little artificial light and no natural light and they thrive.

Dracaena's are great if you have more light. I've even got a baby sago palm in the house and it's thrived in each place I've put it.

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: August 24, 2011 11:30AM

my favorite easy care plants are Snake Plants. easy watering, low light and high on the air detoxifier list. they are usu dark+med green striated tall swordlike leaves. oh, i think patchmomma's got the other names for them too.(sanseveria, mother-in-law's tongue) their great because if you forget to water them one or two leaves will sshrivel and die to alert you then you can just pluck those ones out and new ones will grow. still, better to remember to water them.

Date: August 24, 2011 07:52PM

I still have to print out a list,LOL! I have been doing my community garden thing plus picking up a couple of plants along the way. I wanna ID one of them; maybe I can buy an inexpensive digital camera and post the pic on here and someone can tell me what I bought! It's in a hanging basket and supposedly doesn't need much Sun but it was growing lopsidedly so I brought it outside to give it full exposure of light in the warmer temps.

Date: August 25, 2011 07:50PM

what does that have to do with french fries??

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables