Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What edible things can live in not-yet completed compost?
Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: March 10, 2009 10:16PM

I am trying to deal with 1/2 acre of a noxious weed called Spotted Knapweed and some Skelleton Weed by smothering them with mountains of compost, and replacemlants. So far this is working great, except lots of stuff grows around the edges of the piles, and the older piles have new weeds growing on top of them. What can I plant here instead? I know squash and pumpkins don't mind incomplete compost but I haven't utilized all I've grown.

Something creeping maybe? Strawberries? Would prefer perrenials. Zone 5. No shade.

Angie

Me (30), Joseph (24 mo.) Jeremiah (4 mo.)

We are enjoying spring and being outside!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What edible things can live in not-yet completed compost?
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: March 11, 2009 01:03PM

If the weeds are persistent then something that grows upright might be good, like fruit trees and bushes or grapes on poles and wires; tomatoes, pole beans and snow peas; also things planted in wide rows that can be mulched, tilled or mowed, like potatoes, summer squash and strawberries; and as you mentioned the rambling winter squashes and melons.

Hill type gardening of watermelons might do very well with the new compost. Watermelons can keep for several weeks after fall harvest too.

Seeds have to be planted with good soil contact and well pressed down of course.

Just a few ideas, hope this helps

Posted by: HealthNVitality ()
Date: March 11, 2009 03:36PM

A good option might be to block all sunlight.
This will kill the light-dependent plants in that area.

To block the sunlight, I would use large cardboard boxes, which decompose and feed carbon into the soil and also are great food for the soil microbes.
I would then cover the cardboard with more stuff, such as a layer of soil, compost and at least an inch of mulch, such as wood chips.

This approach can be very effective.
It also feeds and builds fantastic soil, which can grow what you put there.
Just in case an occasional weed survives, it will have to compete with the new crop.

If you post a reply to this message and would like my feedback, it would be best to send me a private message to that effect. Otherwise, I may not check this thread for a while.

***Info from the advisors at HealthNVitality***

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 11, 2009 04:34PM

i grow my pickle cuckes in the compost pile smiling smiley cuz theyre pretty quick to grow and i can usually get 2 crops off in a season smiling smiley cukes love the rich compost smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables