Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

extremely cheap planter box idea?
Posted by: liponeer ()
Date: March 16, 2009 12:01AM

So, it's getting to be time for me to start planting things I think. I live in an apartment with a cement patio that is something like 35x5 feet, I have several 66 gallon tubs filled with compost. I want to make a long trough like thing to put soil in with a clear plastic covering. Do you have any ideas?

I have seen plans involving wood and nails etc., that seem a bit unnecessarily involved, to me. I don't need the thing to look pretty.

Actually, what about just drilling holes in the plastic tubs I have? They are about 2 feet tall. I could fill them half way with soil and put clear plastic over the top.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: extremely cheap planter box idea?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 07, 2009 03:57PM

you can just plop bags of soil on the cement patio. Lay them in a row and cut little Xs wherever you need to place a plant. Or if you want to use your own compost/soil mix - just use construction garbage bags (heavier thickness) and poke a bunch of nail sized holes in the sides and bottom - fill with 6-10 inches of your soil - roll down the excess plastic and voila. It's very cost effective, and holds the moisture in. For the clear plastic - just make a wire frame out of old hangers or even drape the plastic over over-turned buckets with a brick on top. Makes for a quick and cheap little greenhouse!

by all means use your tubs - just be sure to drill/slice/cut in a few drainage holes in the sides very near the bottom. We've used all sorts of containers for gardening in. Old milk crates with landscape fabric lining them, water jugs, old buckets and garbage cans, old wash bins/tubs, coffee cans, whatever - just drill a few drainage holes and go wild!!

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables