Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

lettuce
Posted by: Mona ()
Date: July 21, 2006 02:14PM

I'm growing lettuce in a box outside and the leaves are curling. The plants don't seem to grow very large either. I live in the tropics and that may have something to do with it. I have no place in my house for plants. It's the rainy season and we get lots of rain and humidity right now. Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: lettuce
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 22, 2006 09:03PM

Remember that lettuce is a cold season plant - that does best in cooler temperatures and moderate sun / shade. You can try growing it in a shadier spot. Alternately, you can try growing Chard, Malabar or New Zealand Spinach.

-David Mason

Re: lettuce
Posted by: chickory ()
Date: September 18, 2007 06:44PM

Hi Mona,
I've also read that you can put a box or basket or erect a sun barrier to protect the plants during the middle of the day, when the sun is at its height. When ordering seeds, look for varieties in catalogs described as heat tolerant or bolt resistent. Like Dave wrote, many leafy greens prefer cool weather, so again, check in seed catalogs for plants that grow mid-summer.
Chickory

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables