Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Grow Your Own Great Organic Produce - What A Raised Bed Garden Offers
Posted by: RusticBohemian ()
Date: April 21, 2009 01:47PM

Hey guys. I'm a big fan of growing my own organic produce. It saves time and money. I've recently constructed a raised bed keyhole garden and wrote up a guide on how I did it.

You can find reasons for building a raised garden bed here: [www.raw-food-health.net]

And the building instructions here: [www.raw-food-health.net]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grow Your Own Great Organic Produce - What A Raised Bed Garden Offers
Posted by: pampam ()
Date: April 21, 2009 03:26PM

good job on the gardening, I have been working on a 30 x 40 garden space.
For those who don't have much space I have found if you use just a bag of soil you can plant in that as well.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: April 21, 2009 03:27PM

RusticBohemian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It saves time and money.
Yes, but how many could build a raised bed
keyhole garden of Stones, the way you did??
Very nice work (and article). I can tell you put a lot
of Time, and Love, into it....WY

Date: April 21, 2009 07:20PM

I only took 8 hours to build it. The cost was only $6. Rocks are all over the place and free. If not, scavenge some bricks. If not, find an old concrete pipe. If not, be creative. You could always go with wood, if you want to make it straight.

If you're questioning the skill it takes...I have no skill. I really have no building experience whatsoever. I just stacked up heavy rocks. If you don't have the muscle, find a friend to help.

There's not really a good excuse for why anyone can't do this. It's easy. It's cheap. It has tremendous benefits.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2009 07:21PM by RusticBohemian.

Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: April 21, 2009 07:40PM

Fabulous!

I never knew what people were talking about when they said "keyhole." But yeah - getting to the center of a raised bed to care for it was a problem and why I took down mine. Duh - what a perfect solution!

It's very rocky where I live as well. You can literally rototill any spot, and a "harvest" of large rocks will come right up! Lol.

My next problem is, how to keep all the neighbors critters out of it (rabbits, dogs, cats) do you do anything to cover the garden?

Angie

Me (30), Joseph (24 mo.) Jeremiah (4 mo.)

We are enjoying spring and being outside!!!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 22, 2009 03:02PM

I used to have 7 acres that was a tremendous rock farm smiling smiley we tried to try and grow all manner of things , but the best crop year after year (especially after the winter) was big ol rocks ! =D

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: RaeVynn ()
Date: April 22, 2009 03:24PM

We've built a raised bed garden... out of concrete blocks! The holes make nice 'pockets' for flowers, herbs, etc., and the actual dirt is only 18" across, which means I can reach across it easily.
We bought new blocks, but one could easily find salvage ones through craigslist or 2good2toss dot com.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 22, 2009 03:35PM

also check freecyle [fullcircles.org] and Fullcircles [fullcircles.org] and Reusit network smiling smiley [reuseitnetwork.org]

ive gotten lots of usefull things thru both these organizations as well as craigslist smiling smiley not heard of 2good2toss tho gonna check that out thanks !!

and another great article written smiling smiley thanks a bunch !

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2009 03:49PM by Jgunn.

Date: April 22, 2009 10:23PM

-Angie

See the center stake that sticks up out of the top of the garden? I'll just drape a net between it and the edge of the garden. Deer and rabbits can't get to it. Birds, perhaps, but they're not usually interested in the type of vegetables I want to grow in there. If you were planning on berries, it might be harder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2009 10:24PM by RusticBohemian.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 22, 2009 11:34PM

Another great post, Andrew. I have a large rectangular space, and a keyhole garden, well, I could do two side by side, wouldn't be easy. But a modified colonial-style raised bed garden would. Your enthusiasm really motivates--thanks!

Posted by: wild-aloe ()
Date: May 14, 2009 07:46PM

I have many raised beds; both rows and square feet, wood and rocks. They are great.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables