Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

When is the optimum time to eat sprouts
Posted by: guy500 ()
Date: March 05, 2015 09:45AM

HI

I like to eat them when the first signs of shoots are just starting to come - they seem tastier at this time and I have read that it is at this moment that their nutritional value is most potent.

However, I have read elsewhere that it is more beneficial to allow them to grow for a few days first.

Does anyone know which is correct?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: When is the optimum time to eat sprouts
Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: March 10, 2015 04:50PM

It depends on what kind of sprout it is:

Hulled Sunflower Seeds sprouts, Lentils, Chickpeas, and other larger seeds and legumes - when the shoot is just starting.

Mung - a fat shoot and should be grown in the dark with many rinsings

Small leafy sprouts like Alfalfa, Clover, Radish, Broccoli, etc - 5-7 days. I always wash my hulls off by putting sprouts in a bowl of water, hulls sink and float, then I green up the clean sprouts for another day or two.

Posted by: guy500 ()
Date: March 12, 2015 10:43AM

Thanks

I like to eat mung after a soak and 1-2 rinses, when the shoots are just starting - I find them most tastey at that time, and much less so later.

Am I missing something nutritionally (or doing anything dangerous) by eating them early?

Posted by: Raellz ()
Date: June 02, 2015 10:24AM

I agree with vermontnl on when to eat for the best nutrients.

I love the baby mung too, they are so sweet. If you want to grow them until the leaves come out then so be it, but the nutrient value is better when they are just 48 hours old.
The nutrients are used up in the growing process, so eating the legumes early are best.

Raelle
wrightsprouts.co.nz

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables