Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Completely new to sprouting - and I have one question...
Posted by: SproutingNewbie ()
Date: April 01, 2015 11:59AM

I'm trying to sprout black sunflower seeds. I have them in a tray with soil. I tried to be clever (bad idea), and made my own fertiliser (mixed with water) out of various things including some powdered probiotics! (Don't know what I was thinking.)

Anyway, after about 3 days the top of the soil looks like it has got some kind of fungus/mould on it. I think some of it looks like toadstools, perhaps?

Also, if I pull out a sunflower seed, to examine its roots, the roots have lots of very tiny white furry "legs" on them. Is this white cotton mold?

Another mistake I made was to cover the sunflower seeds with soil, rather than simply leave them on top of soil. I wonder if they have simply got too damp?

Should I abandon this batch, and start again? I don't want any health problems by eating something that could be moldy.

Thanks a lot for any advice!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Completely new to sprouting - and I have one question...
Posted by: Raellz ()
Date: June 02, 2015 10:52AM

You should have definitely dumped that lot by now and started again.

With sunflower sprouts I just soak for 8 hours over night and rinse and drain very well the next day. if you want to eat these sprouts at the early stage then I suggest that you don't rinse again and allow them to dry on a paper towel for 24 hours then they will be ready to eat.

Sunflower seeds soak up heaps of water and are prone to growing mould for this reason.

If you are wanting to grow to the greening stage then you can do this in a try with a mesh layer, or you can use a paper towel. They will need rinsing twice a day and allowed to dry out in between the rinsing.
You can learn more in my book "101 Reasons to Grow and Eat Sprouts"
[shop.wrightsprouts.co.nz]

Re: Completely new to sprouting - and I have one question...
Posted by: GeorgieB ()
Date: July 26, 2015 08:38PM

Hello smiling smiley

Firstly, seeds don't need fertiliser. They get everything they need from the seed.

Secondly, yes - dump that lot!

Thirdly, when I grow sunflower greens I do it in trays. I generally soak them overnight first then spread them on the soil in the tray. I do tend to cover them with soil to protect them from drying out and sometimes the soil perches on the rising shoots. I just brush it off.

Before the true leaves start showing I snip them off low down and eat them. Personally, I don't eat the roots.

I'm sure if you give it another go you'll have a better result smiling smiley They taste wonderful.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables