Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Anyone doing bottom-watering of wheatgrass in flats?
Posted by: Diana (Cda) ()
Date: October 05, 2014 03:25PM

I've grown wheatgrass okay for a while after over 10 years of trying but to grow without mold means a lot of work which has never seemed right, esp. since some people just plant it and forget it almost and how zero mold issues.

To say I've tried everything is an understatement - in 2003 I bought food-grade hydrogen peroxide which didn't help; and throughout the intervening times I've tried so many different things like spraying in different ways and frequencies, different watering techniques, with fans placed in differnt spots, and changing types of wheatgrass seeds several times .... nothing until few months back but with a very lavour-intensive approach!

Last December 2013 I arrived at this complex approach: special 50/50 mix of peat moss and perlite that even with goggles and dust mask still causes me concern for lungs and eyes; watering heavily once a day (grass doesn't like it if I don't water heavily) with at least an hour drainage before putting holed growing tray back on fresh, dry cache pot so that any remaining drips don't cause roots to sit in any dampness whatsoever -- this has given best, most consistent almost 100% moldless results. But the "soil" mix is a concern for lungs/eyes that manage to get around safety precautions and the work involved to water heavily once a day and drain completely just have made this such a long and tedious process each morning that I'd really like to find a better solution. Yes, end result is mold-less grass for the most part but there has to be a better way. The only thing I can't fix is the overhang of balcony above all my windows - I believe that would probably help a lot as that's one recommendation I can't find solution to fix - stronger sunlight than what I have because yes, diffused light is needed but probably more than I can ever get here.

Any thoughts, anyone? I heard that bottom watering after seeds grow rootlets that come through bottom was cited as one method but I've had trouble with rootlets sitting even in just small bits of drainoff water in cache tray below growing tray.

Thanks!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone doing bottom-watering of wheatgrass in flats?
Posted by: GeorgieB ()
Date: July 26, 2015 08:46PM

Hello,

My experience of mold on wheat grass is limited as I don't like wheatgrass juice much but good airflow is vital. You may find the balcony over-hang is preventing good airflow. Lots of people use fans on their wheatgrass!

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables