Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Compost Tea
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: July 14, 2009 12:54PM

Compost tea is homemade liquid ferilizer made by putting vegetation in water and letting it sit. My last batch was potent -- whew!, after a two week soak the blend of grass and weeds was like fresh cow manure only more messy. I'm hoping for a method of neutralizing weed roots (i.e. witchgrass) and seeds as well... Has anyone tried this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Compost Tea
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 14, 2009 08:07PM

the only way i have found to neutralize weeds adn seeds is to either put them in my worm bins deep and the worms turn them into worm castings or to boil them. you can kill weeds in the compost pile but you have to be pretty savvy on composting to get just the right mix and heat in there to kill the seeds smiling smiley the boiled weeds/seeds will still break down into compost

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Re: Compost Tea
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: July 15, 2009 01:16PM

Worm castings are cool.. I need to look into that. Boiling would work except my last patch was 60 gallons!.. too much to deal with on the stove. My compost piles don't get turned often enough to get that seed sterilizing heat.. Hmmm, I was reading that 'witchgrass' has edible seeds like millet and it seems to me the grass and rysomes could be juiced... maybe, like dandelions they can be very good food.

By the way, I was reading that compost tea is traditionally made from Mature compost, not green garden waste like I thought. So this anaerobic 'green' composting idea, while still interesting to me, may not be the way.

Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables