Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

sprouting and soaking
Posted by: humbug ()
Date: August 06, 2006 09:00PM

Hi
I live near London and am new to all this. In fact, I've only just started to be vegan, so plan to gradually build up the raw food.

Even before going vegan I ate a lot of lentils, beans etc, but the whole sprouting idea is news. I have read a bit about it here, but I'm still a bit confused about what I can sprout. What about sunflower and pumpkin seeds that you buy from an average health food store - would those sprout? And I've read that you should soak nuts. Is this all nuts?

Any other info about sprouting/soaking would be useful too. Many thanks
Dawn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sprouting and soaking
Posted by: alive! ()
Date: August 08, 2006 01:56AM

Hello humbug! You can purchase raw sunflower seeds that have been shelled and they will sprout tails when soaked and "sprouted". You can purchase raw sunflower seeds that have NOT been shelled (shell still intact), soak them, sprout them (little tails) and then plant them on dirt and cover them up for a day or two and then uncover. They will grow into sunflower greens (baby plants). Pumpkin seeds that we buy at the health food store can be soaked and then sprouted. But, they don't grow a tail, they just plump up. But they are living at that point. The best way to learn all this is to get a sprouting book - or go to [ www.sproutpeople.com] I like to soak nuts and then dehydrate them - they are more healthy and they get more crunchy that way. Good luck on the raw venture!!!!

Life Is Good!

alive!

Re: sprouting and soaking
Posted by: humbug ()
Date: August 08, 2006 06:46AM

Thank you. I will look at that website.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables