Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

grain sprouts and sugar fermentation
Posted by: alisonott ()
Date: October 25, 2009 09:15AM

I am on an anti candida (no sugar) diet.

I love sprouting and and am keen to include some sprouted grains in my diet.

The candida book I am following seems contradictory:

In one place it says that sprouted grains are a great addition to salads. In another place it says to avoid breads made with sprouted grains as they very often have been fermented.

Do sprouts ferment and produce sugar in the process of sprouting?

Thanks,

Alison

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: grain sprouts and sugar fermentation
Posted by: Thiaggo ()
Date: December 15, 2009 06:09PM

i think its about cerrealss...i ddo not know about such a sugar leess diet..but i heard that when sprouted the carbs form the seeds(cereals have a lot) arre decomposited (becomes sugar?? i dont think so,at least nothinglike the usual sugar...)
when making desidrated breads theey can sometimes ferment but thats not the objective, when it doees it gets smelly and not that crunch...

Even though i am used to drink rejuveelac ,wich it really objective to ferment sprouted wheat and they are never that sweat...
if you can eat sprouted wheat ,you can makee your breeads and eat thos in timee instead of desidrated,i think it has eveen more energy!

Posted by: faeterri ()
Date: December 22, 2009 11:42PM

There are ferments, and there are ferments. Many traditional ones contain sugars as part of the process. Wild ferments as in rejuvelac and saltless sauerkraut help with candida because the wild probiotics (from the air) help boost the immune system. Many candida sufferers have benefited by these foods, me included. So I say, sprouted grain rejuvelac is good. Also, all carbohydrates break down into monosaccharides (simple sugars) for the cells need this fuel source. In all sprouts the carbs are already in that form (predigested). To your health.

Posted by: Thiaggo ()
Date: December 24, 2009 10:49PM

Thnxs for your report faeterri! i am reeally thinking about eat more rejuvelac!!

Posted by: brome ()
Date: December 26, 2009 08:18PM

The following is the best way to make rejuvelac from grain imho:

For 1000's of years people have been making fermented drinks from grains. Most often leading to beer. But after 1 or 2 days of fermentation the weak beer is rejuvelac, rich in enzymes, nutrients, and beneficial microflora. Many of the traditional beer making principles when applied to make rejuvelac give a very superior product: Soak grain for 12 hrs, drain, water plants with soak water, sprout until grass shoot is the length of the grain (about 4 days)(grain should be sweet to the taste)(don't rinse after the initial soak), take a few tbs of sprouts and blend with quart of water, let ferment a couple of days, (it should be bubbling vigorously and have a pleasant tart taste), drink, refill with water, ferment, drink, a few times till it is spent, keep the sprouted grain in the refrigerator and repeat. I like to use rye.
The Indians of the Amazon rainforest make a fermented drink as the above recipe but instead of blending the grain they chew it (the saliva aids in releasing more sugars) and then add it to the brew.

I'm thinking an even better way may be to ferment fresh grape juice for a few days, just enough to get a vigorous population of the beneficial micro-organisms. Using unwashed grapes would give you the full spectrum of friendly organisms on the grape skin (as long as the air isn't too polluted in the vineyard area.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2009 08:19PM by brome.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables