Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Experiences with sprouted legumes?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 10, 2009 08:26AM

Hi,

I'm very new to raw fooding, and was wondering what experiences ppl have had with sprouting legumes?

Do they feel good to you? Or is it true that they are best minimized (or left out altogether) from one's diet?

thanks a million,
Brian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Experiences with sprouted legumes?
Posted by: eecho ()
Date: November 13, 2009 09:28PM

They are not best. Search the forums for sprouting beans. Red beans are toxic and will make you sick if eaten raw. Same with its relatives such as pinto. Don't eat those. Sprouted chickpeas are not as bad although they give many people gas. Mung beans are good. Sprouted peanuts may be ok.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: November 13, 2009 10:02PM

id check out the [www.sproutpeople.com] site , pretty much any sproutable thing possible they have for sale so that can give you an idea , not to mention its a cool site smiling smiley (mke sure you scroll down the whole pages some of their pages have big blank empty spots for some reason)

if the bean isnt on there id think they would know it to be unsproutable for safety reasons smiling smiley they also tell you on most of the links which ones should be cooked or ok raw , and if not then just email them if you have a queswtion they always respond to me quite quickly smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2009 10:04PM by Jgunn.

Posted by: Thiaggo ()
Date: December 15, 2009 06:00PM

Sprouted peanutsaree greeatheeree in Brasil!!
but not big as a grasss just 8hrs in water then 1 day sprouting (depending of thee temperature)
we make some great paste with yam`s ,cheese with rejuvelac or eeveen sweet bases for fruit pies !!
Mung beens we eat srpouted for a week
adzuki a bit lik peanut...
but i think most of thee others a re toxic...
iheeard from a agroecologist that most of this seeeds they plant for nitrogen adubation but feel animals or birds eat them...

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: December 30, 2009 08:32PM

Hi, Brian!

My fave legume to sprout so far are French lentils, which I bought at Whole Foods' bulk bin. They are smaller than the typical lentil and sprout great! I tried garbanzos but I don't like the taste of larger beans uncooked! Icky yucky to me because they are too starchy and taste wrong to me. However, smaller beans are probably the way to go: black-eyed peas, turtle beans, etc. I haven't tried those but can vouch for the little lentils!

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: January 07, 2010 02:29PM

I sprout a blend of adzukis, French lentils and mung beans -- yum!!!

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: February 03, 2010 03:51PM

Brian,

I really like lentil sprouts. They are about 70 calories per cup with over 7 grams of protein. Make great additions to salads & smoothies. I have over 1 cup per day as part of my living food diet.

Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables