Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Thinking of buying an Earth Box for this season: anyone have any experience with them?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 25, 2010 01:45AM

Specifically, I am wondering about if you have to start them off early or something...I am totally unschooled when it comes to gardening, so any imput would be greatly appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thinking of buying an Earth Box for this season: anyone have any experience with them?
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 25, 2010 06:32AM

They look like a great starter system to get to know what you are doing . What do you want to grow and what do you want to know? smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Re: Thinking of buying an Earth Box for this season: anyone have any experience with them?
Date: January 30, 2010 09:11PM

I live just outside Chicago, so it can get brutally cold this time of year. I understand that I would need to start it out early, so I am wondering if I should start planning. Let's see...I definitely want a lot of tomatoes, maybe bell peppers and hot sweet ones, maybe green beans, some type of interesting lettuce...The one thing I really want are tomatoes! But herbs, too, like basil, dill, mint...

Date: January 31, 2010 12:20AM

sounds like a good plan , the average last frost last frost date in your area usually looks like april3-may3 smiling smiley

so look at your seeds and find the ones that take the longest growing time. start those first (keep a calander marked is handy)

soak the seeds overnight to activate them (like from dinner till breakfast)

i use egg cartons to start the seedlings .. put 1 or 2 seeds in each little egg spot and (rip off the carton lid) cover the whole thing with saran wrap or stuff it into a large enough ziplock .. this will give you humidity and warmth. keep them in a warm spot till you start seeing seedlings

once they are about an inch and you have more then two begginnning leaves

take a teaspoon and either transplant them into small cheap pots (i use teacups and mugs cuz i find them cheap and free) untill you can put them out into your system outside smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2010 12:26AM by Jgunn.

Date: January 31, 2010 02:34AM

Thanks,Jodi!smiling smiley Sounds like a bit of work but I just need to roll up my sleeves, I guess!

Date: January 31, 2010 03:35AM

hehe its soounds like more work then it is .. really once you have all your supplies and set up a table its easy peasy lickity split smiling smiley

fresh produce is so worth it smiling smiley once you taste your own home grown stuff you will become a total snob to the stuff in the store s tongue sticking out smiley specially tomatoes ..nothing beats a home grown outdoor tomato smiling smiley yum!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2010 03:36AM by Jgunn.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: March 01, 2010 04:07PM

Green beans are generally started outdoors after the last frost. They don't transplant well. There are dozens of varieties that will mature quickly in your climate, never fear. Lettuce can be started indoors but it grows so fast that there is no benefit. Just sprinkle the seeds in the soil outdoors and bob's yer uncle.

Posted by: rab ()
Date: April 14, 2010 07:48PM

babana who, thanks for asking that question, I am from NortWest Indiana, so you helped me too.

smiling smiley

Date: April 19, 2010 02:50AM

@Rab: Howdy, Hoosier!

We are still not out of the woods yet. The last couple of nights have been downright chilly after unseasonable warmth last week. I went on Amazon to read some testimonials about the Earthbox and I am wondering if I could just do as well with a container garden but I have zero experience growing stuff. I am glad that I have a bit of time to start!

*Edit: Well, check out the official site. Apparently they give reasons why the Earthbox is better than other container gardening.[forum.earthbox.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2010 02:52AM by banana who.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 20, 2010 11:30AM

I don't like plastic. I have been trying to work out similar systems using natural materials, like glazed lined clay pots with holes in the bottom, and trays, with water, and worm castings for fertilizer, and mulch (straw, sawdust, leaf mold) for the top layer. My plants are growing. This is the first year for this for me.

Posted by: rab ()
Date: August 02, 2010 10:51PM

I have three tomato plants growing, and a mulberry tree (I promised myself, wherever I go, I will plant a mulberry tree).
My trouble is that I am using soil from the local sources and I get a lot of weeds growing, sometimes I am not sure what is what. I have destroyed a few tomato plants thinking they were weed. Same with some mulberry seeds I planted. Now I am much more careful, but still it is so tricky.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables