Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Unintentional onion plant?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 25, 2010 07:45PM

I discovered an onion which had started sprouting on my counter. You know when green shoots come out of the bulb? I once nibbled on one and it tasted like a strong green onion. Anyway, I took this bulb and put it in a jar filled with water. Do you think it'll grow? Can I just leave it here on my counter?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Unintentional onion plant?
Posted by: faeterri ()
Date: March 26, 2010 11:50AM

It did not work for me. Good luck.

Date: April 21, 2010 05:45PM

faeterri Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It did not work for me. Good luck.

It's working for me! It is still growing, even though I clipped it!

Posted by: faeterri ()
Date: April 21, 2010 07:50PM

good for you!

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: April 28, 2010 04:18PM

[www.citydirt.net]

I wouldn't have thought onions would be happy in water either but must admit forcing chives indoors in my kitchen in soil this year was messy every time I went to pull out a bulb to use the dirt going everywhere. Chives that are allowed to flower are nice in salads (the flowers that is).. maybe the same with onions?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2010 04:20PM by loeve.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 30, 2010 01:16AM

Yes, one can eat onion flowers and flowers from plants that we eat of, are edible, zucchinis, clovers, many many others.

Date: May 02, 2010 09:51PM

loeve Wrote:
> [www.citydirt.net]
> [www.citydirt.net]
>
> I wouldn't have thought onions would be happy in
> water either but must admit forcing chives indoors
> in my kitchen in soil this year was messy every
> time I went to pull out a bulb to use the dirt
> going everywhere. Chives that are allowed to
> flower are nice in salads (the flowers that is)..
> maybe the same with onions?

LOL- I was going to ask in a roundabout way whether chives are onion shoots...they sure look the same although the onion shoots are very hot.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: May 03, 2010 11:16AM

"Yes, one can eat onion flowers and flowers from plants that we eat of, are edible, zucchinis, clovers, many many others."

That's good to know, 007, there's always something flowering spring, summer and fall. The deer go after the potato new growth at the flowering stage, though that's one humans will want to pass on, but I have eaten squash and clover flowers and been served nasturtium and chive flowers in a restaurant. Evening primrose flowers are good too.

"I was going to ask in a roundabout way whether chives are onion shoots..."

I think chives are related to onions, banana who, but growing them they are a little different. They have small bulbs that send up mildish greens and produce lavendar flowers, the mature bulbs very strong tasting in summer but sweeter when mulched and dug in winter.

Date: May 07, 2010 09:24PM

Wow, that sounds cool to have pretty flowers, too!

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: May 15, 2010 06:26PM

I like to grow chives and other herbs in two liter plastic soda bottles in my kitchen, hard to come by now that I havent drank soda for years, but most have a friend or two that usually drinks that stuff... i cut off the top so its nice and open, put some dirt inside, and they grow up, and when you pull them out you dont get allot of dirt everywhere cause I dont fill them more than halfway with dirt at most... you have to be careful not to over water however... you could just poke some holes in the bottom and put something under to catch water if you wanted...

Date: May 18, 2010 12:47AM

*Update: I was cleaning and I put my onion plant on top of the fridge. It's getting all dried out. I don't know if perhaps the water's gone or if it's too far from the window and the Sun...The green shoots are too strong so I really am not planning to eat them, but it's still the only plant that didn't die on me within the week, LOL!

Date: May 18, 2010 10:51AM

banana who,

that was my experience, after a while the plant died back. Now what I have is an 'everlasting' green onion (scallion) that I started from seeds in a deep pot that I continually cut back (harvest), and it continues to thrive. I have just seperate the roots recently and gave some away for another to pot up.

Chives are in the onion family along with leeks, garlic, and shallots.

Date: May 18, 2010 03:48PM

wild onions can take even more abusegrinning smiley as they are generally tougher...so those are fun to grow indoors...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: May 20, 2010 01:20AM

Curator Wrote:
> wild onions can take even more abusegrinning smiley as they are
> generally tougher...so those are fun to grow
> indoors...

lol, tougher to chew as well...definitely not the same texture as the vidalia!

Also, for those of you gathering wild onions in the pacific area, or "west of the Rockies", please be knowledgeable of the "Death Camas" plant.

It is a similar look-alike to the onion, but lacks the onion smell. That is what I have read/heard, as I don't have firsthand experience with it since it is not a native plant to my area.

Date: May 20, 2010 01:35AM

yeah, there is one like that here, never knew what it was, but it didn't have the strong oniony garlicky smell of the normal ones, so I never ate any of them, the wild onions I have are one of the only things I can get to grow here at my new place,lol... and they dont seem very tough to me, but maybe I'm just used to them as Ive been eating them since I was a kid!!! lol...I also slice them really really thin too...

Date: June 08, 2010 12:09AM

RIP onion plant (2010-2010).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2010 12:09AM by banana who.

Date: June 08, 2010 01:56AM

awwwsad smiley but, it was so young and full of life!...it, it just isnt right:'(... lol

Date: June 08, 2010 06:13PM

A time for everything. Wow I don't get to a computer enough while abroad. Miss talking with you all. Doing well. Peace.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables