Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Growing wheatgrass in Norway
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 27, 2010 10:12PM

Hello everyone :-)

I have been reading about how healthy wheatgrass is, and I want to try to grow it at home by myself. I live in the city of Bergen in Norway, and here it is often pretty humid and it rains a lot. It is not so much sunlight throughout the day and at this time of the year the temperature is around 10 degrees celcius. Are these wheather conditions not proper for growing wheatgrass or is it still possible? Should I let the wheatgrass grow inside or outside? And should it be exposed to direct sunlight or not?

Also I wonder if I should get a juicer, or if I get the all the nutrients by just chewing the wheatgrass? Does this seem like a good offer?: [www.browfarm.co.uk]

I have never done anything like this before so any answer would be really helpful. Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Growing wheatgrass in Norway
Posted by: brome ()
Date: March 28, 2010 10:40PM

Hard red winter wheat is high protein and is recommended for wheatgrass. It is called winter wheat because farmers plant it in the fall before the first snow. It slowly grows under the insulating blanket of snow thru the winter and then really takes off when the snow melts. It likes it cold but grows very slowly then, but is much sweeter than when grown at warmer temperatures.

Make your own trays. Buy your seed from a store, a farmer, or a silo. And here's some juicers on this site:

[www.discountjuicers.com]

Or try wild grasses that are sprouting up in the springtime. Just chew, swallow the juice, and spit out the pulp. Try different ones and go for the best tasting one. Some brome grasses here in California taste really good.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2010 10:53PM by brome.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 29, 2010 03:14AM

brome Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ......Some brome grasses here in
> California taste really good.
I'd be interested to know where you buy your
Wheat Berries? I lost my favorite supplier (Crystal Organics),
and now it's just hit-or-miss....mostly miss. I've been buying
lately from Bob's Red Mill. The germination rate is near 100%,
but the Grass is skinny. Crystal Organics grew a nice wide blade,
....sweet too, but they're no longer in business.....WY

Posted by: brome ()
Date: March 29, 2010 04:13PM

I just buy my wheat at the local health food store, nothing special.

Here's an idea:

After the winter wheat is planted in the fall some farmers turn in livestock to graze it down, since it will regrow for an undiminished crop in the early summer. Instead of this wasteful practice, the wheat grass could be mown and juiced. This could be sold frozen or freeze dried.

Since wheat sells now for 7.7 cents/pound due to a fully mechanized farming operation, I think a fully mechanized juicing operation could sell the juice (maybe a freeze concentrate like is done with orange juice) or a freeze dried powder, really cheaply. The prices charged now are outright larceny, about $100/pound for the freeze dried powder.

The farmer puts a huge amount of work into growing the wheat for 7.7 cents/pound (and a few years ago he got only 4 cents a pound!). It doesn't seems like there would be that much more work involved in a juicing operation if you developed the mechanical engineering to make it fully mechanized. Plus the juicing would just be a sideline of the farms normal wheat production. The cost of the seed, the tilling, the planting would be zero for the juicing sideline.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2010 04:26PM by brome.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables