Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

does it have to be wheatgrass
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 14, 2010 04:00PM

I have a new manuel juicer and just bought some wheat seeds from the farmer store. They are just wheat seeds, not hard red winter wheat does that matter? Also there is already a field of rye grass growing can I juice that too?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: does it have to be wheatgrass
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: April 15, 2010 11:35AM

I bought some rye seed last fall from a garden shop and have been experimenting with different ways to grow it. I've been growing soaked rye seed without soil most recently in a damp covered clay pot and it is good and sweet if used very early, even just a few centimeters tall (eaten with the roots attached more as a sprout). I think many grasses can be juiced as long as it is early growth. On this board we tend to be careful to know our source, organic seed and grass the best. I sometimes forage for juicy grass in and around the garden too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2010 11:47AM by loeve.

Date: April 19, 2010 12:41AM

Does anyone know where to buy wheatgrass seeds and soil in the Los Angeles area? I'd love some recommendations so I don't have to order it from the internet.

Date: September 22, 2010 05:04PM

I purchased the "red winter wheatgrass seeds" recently, but I was informed that I could grow the wheat grass without soil and just use water. I wanted to clarify that with the forum. I bought 5 large trays with a drain tray for each. Is using fertilizer better? will the wheatgrass be more nutritious? If fertilizer or some type of soil is reccomended, which is the best (by opinion)?

Thanks in advance

Date: November 12, 2010 04:42AM

you can easily find "red hard wheat" in the bulk (organic is best) at the grocery store or online at a seed sale place. I'm in canada so I buy from Westcoastseeds or mumms online. To make wheatgrass without soil, just sprout them longer, until the grass is about 3 inches long then juice it. They are good eaten as a cereal with milk when they are short too though. If you want to grow it in soil peat moss is suggested. You can add kelp powder to the water for nutrient enhancement too.
HTH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables